Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

Whereas I definitely preferred the design of 2017 to that of 2016, despite some qualms about amplifying an entire brass ensemble for most of the show.

But I liked 2013 more than any other recent year. If I were all the judges, that show would have had a silver medal. (And it was just 0.1 from bronze, I think.)

I'm wondering if there it could be said that there are different "types" of Vanguard shows, and if different fans respond differently to those groups.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Whereas I definitely preferred the design of 2017 to that of 2016, despite some qualms about amplifying an entire brass ensemble for most of the show.

But I liked 2013 more than any other recent year. If I were all the judges, that show would have had a silver medal. (And it was just 0.1 from bronze, I think.)

I'm wondering if there it could be said that there are different "types" of Vanguard shows, and if different fans respond differently to those groups.

Very yes. If ever there were a corps that had its own set of genres (or "types," to borrow your parlance), Vanguard is it.

On the one hand, you've got their darker, more intellectual shows. This year falls under that, as does (off the top of my head) 2015, 2011, 2010, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997.

On the other hand, you have their lighter shows. Not less weighty, but...lighter, all the same. The Appalachian Spring years would fall under this, as would 2016, 2012, 1996.

Then you have the pageants. This is your musicals--Fiddler, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis--and your heavy-pageantry shows--1987, Scheherazade (both times).

I think those three broad classifications sum things up, but y'all can feel free to parse further.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Very yes. If ever there were a corps that had its own set of genres (or "types," to borrow your parlance), Vanguard is it.

On the one hand, you've got their darker, more intellectual shows. This year falls under that, as does (off the top of my head) 2015, 2011, 2010, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997.

On the other hand, you have their lighter shows. Not less weighty, but...lighter, all the same. The Appalachian Spring years would fall under this, as would 2016, 2012, 1996.

Then you have the pageants. This is your musicals--Fiddler, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Les Mis--and your heavy-pageantry shows--1987, Scheherazade (both times).

I think those three broad classifications sum things up, but y'all can feel free to parse further.

I could make a further distinction: pre- and post-Gail Royer shows. Gail was the force that developed the musicals, the pageantry and the "semi-classical" shows. After his passing in 1992, SCV gradually moved into the more austere, modern and less sentimental kinds of shows. They have floated back and forth between these styles ever since. I loved Gail's influence and tastes, but I am very happy with SCV's current musical direction. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, quietcity said:

I could make a further distinction: pre- and post-Gail Royer shows. Gail was the force that developed the musicals, the pageantry and the "semi-classical" shows. After his passing in 1992, SCV gradually moved into the more austere, modern and less sentimental kinds of shows. They have floated back and forth between these styles ever since. I loved Gail's influence and tastes, but I am very happy with SCV's current musical direction. 

I'd definitely agree that there's a difference between pre- and post-Royer.

5 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I am hoping their show choice will be more like 2016 vs. 2017. Not a fan of 17 especially compared to 2016...

Totally agree with ya. 2016 had the pure elegance and class of SCV with actual melodies that could be easily followed and enjoyed while this year it was more of a powerful and aggressive SCV with many more technical aspects to the show. 

Im personally a fan of the former style, though both have merit 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zeke said:

Just Wow...I had no idea the age out count was that high with Vanguard this year. When was the last time Vanguard or any corps has had that many age-outs in one year?

It's not that uncommon actually in the top corps. The top 5 or 6 corps usually always have 40+ age outs each year and the numbers tend to drop the lower you go. Blue Devils had 60 this year...

On 8/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, ftwdrummer said:

Well, if the '10s are any indication, 2018 should have a soft ending:

Bartok - "soft" (technically soft with the guard/cymbal jump sound effect)

Staircase - loud

Starry Night - soft

Les Mis - loud

Scheherezade - soft

Spark - loud

Nature - soft

Ouroboros - loud

:lle:

• Like 3

Whatever SCV comes up with for a closer in 2018, I hope its a fabulous as this season's. I've played the SCV 2017 closer more times than I can count now. From the point in the show with the brass doing the double tonguing, playing on top of the props in the middle, to the end of the show, was one of my most favorite moments in all of Drum Corps this season. The Visuals with the Flags positioned in the middle there in the closer, the fast and furious marching,  brass/ drums playing it loud and " in your face ", to the end  there was really spectacular, imo. I loved their show this season. One of my 3-4 favorites for 2017.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, gak27 said:

Well, if the '10s are any indication, 2018 should have a soft ending:

Bartok - "soft" (technically soft with the guard/cymbal jump sound effect)

Staircase - loud

Starry Night - soft

Les Mis - loud

Scheherezade - soft

Spark - loud

Nature - soft

Ouroboros - loud

:lle:

Huh never realized that pattern. It looks like I enjoy the soft ending shows more than the loud ones