Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

On 9/14/2017 at 2:18 PM, BoaDci said:

It was so not SCV.  I was actually shocked how bandwagoned they got by the bando crowd.  Im sure this year will be better, but I really want them to let JD Shaw unload a bit.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far with "so not SCV." It seemed of a piece with some of the stuff they did around the turn of the millennium. Also with 2010 and 2011.

Though, admittedly, a bit more drum heavy than those examples, which I might argue was plausibly a Gaines influence--iirc he was always asking Kuhn for more drum fill to give more space for drill moves bitd at Cavies).

All those shakes, rattles, and rumbles in Santa Clara and its  "suburb" San Jose these last two days must mean Rennicks, Shaw, Gaines, and Weber are hitting their heads together to move that next design from a silver cup to gold!

Can't be those sharks hitting their sticks and bodies against the boards in anticipation of the games which start next week....

All the best to our SCV friends out there in Cali.

18 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

This.  I want exactly this in 2018...with a few props, a uniform change, and a couple color guard members.  

I love this SCV classic which they played in 70, 85, and 86. But Phantom Regiment loved it too in 2001 and Carolina Crown in 2008.

So a decade may be enough to reintroduce it to a new generation.   If it's not snipped, electronicized, or aborted in other ways. For instance what Bocook did to SCV classics in Cadets 2010 show; sucked the life right out of the pieces. I prefer what you have posted here.

Edited by xandandl

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I love this SCV classic which they played in 70, 85, and 86. But Phantom Regiment loved it too in 2001 and Carolina Crown in 2008.

So a decade may be enough to reintroduce it to a new generation.   If it's not snipped, electronicized, or aborted in other ways. For instance what Bocook did to SCV classics in Cadets 2012 show; sucked the life right out of the piece. I prefer what you have posted here.

Sucked the life out of the piece?? Cadets 2012 is one of the most lively shows I've listened to from the Cadets, the arrangements were amazing

52 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sucked the life out of the piece?? Cadets 2012 is one of the most lively shows I've listened to from the Cadets, the arrangements were amazing

but not close at all to the energy and dynamicism of when SCV did them originally under Royer. He understood true brass and musical GE in getting the musician, judge, and audience to respond. I'm comparing Cadets to that. You are comparing Cadets to Cadets.

I know, you weren't even a twinkle in your parents' eyes back them...in that other century.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, xandandl said:

but not close at all to the energy and dynamicism of when SCV did them originally under Royer. He understood true brass and musical GE in getting the musician, judge, and audience to respond. I'm comparing Cadets to that. You are comparing Cadets to Cadets.

I know, you weren't even a twinkle in your parents' eyes back them...in that other century.

I'll have to give said SCV arrangements another listen 

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

For instance what Bocook did to SCV classics in Cadets 2012 show; sucked the life right out of the pieces. I prefer what you have posted here.

SCV played Jingle Bells?

I'm guessing you mean 2010? More was wrong in 2010 than not living up to an SCV version of Procession of the Nobles...