Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

12 minutes ago, blakman7 said:

Oh wow, I had no idea that Gaines was doing the drill this year. Well....that got my ears raised like a German Shepard! His work with Cavies during his tenure was unbelievable and Vanguard will definitely benefit from it this year. Can't wait to see them!

What happened to the other guy?  I actually think his drill was more esoteric and inventive than Gaines.  SCV has been my favorite drill for around 10 years now, but last year I didn't personally like it quite as much as before Gaines arrived.

Anyway, can't wait to see what they're up to this year!

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

What happened to the other guy?  I actually think his drill was more esoteric and inventive than Gaines.  SCV has been my favorite drill for around 10 years now, but last year I didn't personally like it quite as much as before Gaines arrived.

Anyway, can't wait to see what they're up to this year!

I'm pretty sure Pete Weber was still the drill designer for 2017.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PresentArms said:

I'm pretty sure Pete Weber was still the drill designer for 2017.

Correct, though Gaines was on staff last year (as Creative Director for the whole organization). I felt that, while definitely a Weber drill, it showed Gaines' influence.

Anyway, Weber's taking the year off because he and his wife have a new addition to the family (mazel tov to them), so Gaines is covering this year.

59 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Correct, though Gaines was on staff last year (as Creative Director for the whole organization). I felt that, while definitely a Weber drill, it showed Gaines' influence.

Anyway, Weber's taking the year off because he and his wife have a new addition to the family (mazel tov to them), so Gaines is covering this year.

Pete Weber, yes.  I don't know why, I can never remember his name.  Absolute genius though, as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely, it seemed like there was some Michael Gaines influence in the drill last year.  Not that there's anything WRONG with that, necessarily.  I just feel like his traditional style (a la Cavaliers) isn't as well suited to the modern SCV as Pete Weber.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:55 AM, blakman7 said:

Oh wow, I had no idea that Gaines was doing the drill this year. Well....that got my ears raised like a German Shepard! His work with Cavies during his tenure was unbelievable and Vanguard will definitely benefit from it this year. Can't wait to see them!

I’m an unabashed Santa Clara fan, but anyone else feeling like there’s way too little excitement among the drum corps community regarding Gaines writing the drill for this summer’s SCV program?! That’s nothing to take away from the brilliance of Pete Weber but seriously people! I know some other topics have been the focus this offseason, but I think I it’s time to start getting excited about the upcoming summer for this corps ! Yes, we need a show announcement to have something more to talk about but with the staff they’ve amassed and upward trend they’ve been on for the last 5 or 6 years this is as good a chance as they’ve had to win the championship in 20 years in my opinion. Can’t wait to hear what they’ll be doing this summer and here’s to more hype for SCV!

On 5/6/2018 at 7:56 AM, tesmusic said:

That was the case last year, he is for 2018 though.

Wow, I had no idea.  SCV all of a sudden becomes one of the shows I’m most looking forward to seeing this year!!  Well, ok, they already were, but this just adds to it now!!

Thanks for the update.

just donated to someone that got a guard contract!

• Like 3

I have yet to see a show by SCV that I do not love since 1971. Usually their music choice is my favorite as well. Didn’t get to see them live last year. I need to change that!

12 hours ago, flammaster said:

I have yet to see a show by SCV that I do not love since 1971. Usually their music choice is my favorite as well. Didn’t get to see them live last year. I need to change that!

I'm with you. Almost. I struggled with the shows that fall in 2001-2003, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2011. Last year, when I saw them, after the first few notes, I thought, "Crap, here were go again." Then a few seconds later, I was blown away. Such a great show last year. My favorite since 1987 if not ever.

• Like 1