Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

will there be a similar featured ensemble concept in the hornline again this year?

I believe this was addressed during the Winter rules meetings.  Not interested in looking up what happened.

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

will there be a similar featured ensemble concept in the hornline again this year?

I don't think so. Had a friend who saw them, said a number of great solos and solis, but no set featured group. I think that concept was probably created specifically for their show last year. He keeps saying the brass are the real deal this year and that the music book can compete for a championship! I'll be interested to see how they and BD match up in less than two weeks!!

As for a miked ensemble, even if the rules hadn’t addressed it as a Red Team alumni would hope not. It was cool when the ensemble players wore the same uniform top which added to the “where is that coming from?” effect at first, then they blew it up with the gold lamay look. Yeah, yeah, snakes shed skin ‘n all, but still....

12 hours ago, tedrick said:

The remarkable thing about the ensemble last year is how little they actually played. Check out the YouTube GoPro videos from various ensemble members, including a mellophone and the piccolo trumpet player. They spend the vast majority of their time re-arranging props and running around. They were essentially auxiliary guard members who had occasional musical duties. I actually felt a little bad for them, as they did not get to participate in a lot of the big brass moments. Such is the price of stardom. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, quietcity said:

The remarkable thing about the ensemble last year is how little they actually played. Check out the YouTube GoPro videos from various ensemble members, including a mellophone and the piccolo trumpet player. They spend the vast majority of their time re-arranging props and running around. They were essentially auxiliary guard members who had occasional musical duties. I actually felt a little bad for them, as they did not get to participate in a lot of the big brass moments. Such is the price of stardom. 

Made  a similar post last year and I had timed them around 4 minutes of playing time.  I may be way off on the time, but you're correct, they didn't play much and were used more as stage hands.

Have a great season, SCV! Best of luck.

driving from Portland to Bay Area tomorrow.  staying in Redding overnight and realized I am close to SCV.

Do they post their daily schedule anywhere?   And is it OK to stop in and catch some rehearsal? (of course with no audio or video recording)

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has.  

14 hours ago, PJinPDX said:

driving from Portland to Bay Area tomorrow.  staying in Redding overnight and realized I am close to SCV.

Do they post their daily schedule anywhere?   And is it OK to stop in and catch some rehearsal? (of course with no audio or video recording)

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has.  

The best thing to do is tweet them. I tweeted BD to see if their rehearsal tonight was open to the public and they replied right back saying to join them.