Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

On 6/16/2018 at 12:10 AM, PJinPDX said:

Wow.  Just wow.  It was great to see the 2018 DCI Champions in pre-season training.    Just some general thoughts so I don’t share things I’m not supposed to.  

1... I just kept smiling. The show checks all the boxes for me.   

2...the cymbal line gives me life. 

3...I am not a drummer.  At all.  But the battery moves very well.  Sound very clean (to me).  Exudes power and energy.    

4...staging.  I want to see this in uniform.  With show flags. And all the other bells and whistles. July 7th can’t get here soon enough. Even without all that, I bought what the show announcement was selling All the programmed moments make so much sense and just flow within the music rather than feeling like a forced staging for the sake of just having the moment  

5...the power behind the horn line is freightening.  The delicate moments pull you in.   And as a low brass player, I was enthralled by the Mello line. Didn’t see that coming. Hahahahaha.      

And The ballad  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

There are a whole bunch more fun and exciting and surprising and unexpected  things happening in this show   But I don’t feel it’s my place to share the details

If you get a chance, go see them!!!!!   I held my breath the last 3 minutes of the show   

Thanks to the corps and the volunteers and all involved for their hospitality and warm welcomes    

If this is the direction the corps keep moving, the future will be golden for many years to come   

I did buy a ticket for BD Family Day tomorrow night.  So it will be nice to see BD since they aren’t coming up the PNW way this year.    

So after seeing BD and SCV.  Which one do you prefer?

36 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

1991 BD. (Though that had its own whole set of issues.)

Next?

Ah yes, his lone stint with BD.

To be fair, like you said, that had its own set of issues and he took over at the later part of the season after Fred Sanford left.

On 6/15/2018 at 9:10 PM, PJinPDX said:

Wow.  Just wow.  It was great to see the 2018 DCI Champions in pre-season training.    Just some general thoughts so I don’t share things I’m not supposed to.  

1... I just kept smiling. The show checks all the boxes for me.   

2...the cymbal line gives me life. 

3...I am not a drummer.  At all.  But the battery moves very well.  Sound very clean (to me).  Exudes power and energy.    

4...staging.  I want to see this in uniform.  With show flags. And all the other bells and whistles. July 7th can’t get here soon enough. Even without all that, I bought what the show announcement was selling All the programmed moments make so much sense and just flow within the music rather than feeling like a forced staging for the sake of just having the moment  

5...the power behind the horn line is freightening.  The delicate moments pull you in.   And as a low brass player, I was enthralled by the Mello line. Didn’t see that coming. Hahahahaha.      

And The ballad  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

There are a whole bunch more fun and exciting and surprising and unexpected  things happening in this show   But I don’t feel it’s my place to share the details

If you get a chance, go see them!!!!!   I held my breath the last 3 minutes of the show   

Thanks to the corps and the volunteers and all involved for their hospitality and warm welcomes    

If this is the direction the corps keep moving, the future will be golden for many years to come   

I did buy a ticket for BD Family Day tomorrow night.  So it will be nice to see BD since they aren’t coming up the PNW way this year.    

Enthralled by the Mellos, and you didn't see it coming? They've had a rippin' mello line with some pretty sweet parts for about five years now. Always a treat. I'd hold the phone on the title prediction though...seems to be a strong year brewing in the top six. Gonna be interesting.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:00 AM, DCI-86 said:

I expect SCV to win this year.  Last year they had the champion percussion section and the champion guard and now perhaps the best drill writer too.

I too think it's funny that very few people seem to be counting them as potential champions, as though last year was a fluke.  I guess we will find out in a few week's time!

Drill writer will be different. Of course, it's not like Gaines is some kind of step down, mind you. :laugh: Completely disagree with the "very few people" comment...from what I'm seeing, they seem to be the odds-on pick, at least among the non-homer crowd out there. They are certainly positioned well, with the second place last year. Musical program appears to be a monster. Love Metropolis 1927, great tune. 

Sorry to bring this here guys since its off topic, but I was just wondering if someone could explain to me here or a pm how SCV 1989 made the "phantom" disappear? I've always wondered, but never asked. Lol.

I’m excited to go watch some practice tomorrow!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Sorry to bring this here guys since its off topic, but I was just wondering if someone could explain to me here or a pm how SCV 1989 made the "phantom" disappear? I've always wondered, but never asked. Lol.

the mirrored prop made the "base" look open but it was solid so the member just dropped down into the base before they removed the cloth - classic magic prop. Hope that's what you're asking...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2018 at 7:32 AM, B-Flat said:

So after seeing BD and SCV.  Which one do you prefer?

SCV just felt special. And I connected with it more at some level.  Both corps were amazing.  First weekend will be interesting, especially since ya never know what form will be there vs the final product will be on the field at finals.   Gonna be an exciting season!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 7:58 AM, BDCorno said:

Enthralled by the Mellos, and you didn't see it coming? They've had a rippin' mello line with some pretty sweet parts for about five years now. Always a treat. I'd hold the phone on the title prediction though...seems to be a strong year brewing in the top six. Gonna be interesting.

Agree on he strength of DCi this year.  Exciting for us all as fans.  But I will stick with mu prediction. LOL. 

Maybe it was was because I really got a chance to hear them (with only 6 people in the stands for ensemble) and spent time near them in the afternoon sectionals.   But the mello’s really just not my socks off.   Might have been some of the staging.  Or the way the horn book is written.  Hit whatever reason I bought into it hook line and sinker.    

And thinking back, there are some amazing staging moments that still stick out for me a week later.   Especially the tuba pyramid.   Cudos to the the team in the design and use of the props.  

Lets get this season going!!!!!!!