Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

This is the best ballad this year. And I say that when BD, Crown, and Bluecoats all have very strong ballads. Can't get enough of it!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, INT72 said:

Also, Check our the lyrics to "My Body is a Cage"

My body is a cage that keeps me
From dancing with the one I love
But my mind holds the key
I'm standing on a stage
Of fear and self-doubt
It's a hollow play
But they'll clap anyway
You're standing next to me
My mind holds the key
I'm living in an age
That calls darkness light
Though my language is dead
Still the shapes fill my head
I'm living in an age
Whose name I don't know
Though the fear keeps me moving
Still my heart beats so slow
My mind holds the key
My body is a,
My body is a cage
We take what we're given
Just because you've forgotten
That don't mean you're forgiven
I'm living in an age
That screams my name at night
But when I get to the doorway
There's no one in sight
I'm living in an age
That laughs when I'm dancing with the one I love
My mind holds the key
Set my spirit free
Set my spirit free
Set my body free
Set my body free
Set my spirit free
Set my body free
Songwriters: Jeremy Gara / Regine Chassagne / Richard R Parry / Tim Kingsbury / William Butler / Win Butler
My Body Is a Cage lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Have always LOVED this piece since Blue Springs HS used it in their “ I’m Not Wendy “ show!! 

9 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I really recommend reading the story of the tower of babel and whatnot and then comparing it to the program notes/performance. Once you understand the original context, the show is really well thought out already to portray the design.

I too am not seeing the appeal that everyone else is yet, but I'm sure that will change when I see it live or repeated viewings. Let down by the drill until the ballad, though the explanations help.

19 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

I can only imagine that their flagwork will mirror this awesome moment from SCV last year:

I LOVED this part of the show!!!!  The musicality of the guard work is simply awesome!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sched88 said:

I LOVED this part of the show!!!!  The musicality of the guard work is simply awesome!

Yes. I watch it a million times. Hope there is a guard feature in the closer in Babylon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

This is the best ballad this year. And I say that when BD, Crown, and Bluecoats all have very strong ballads. Can't get enough of it!

And we may also have a new record for highest note in DCI history as one of their trumpet soloists is playing an E above double C at the end of the ballad. I remember hearing an F above double C in Madison and maybe BD in the 80’s, but that was on a G bugle. This would actually set the record and word is this kid can actually play an A above that! Crazy!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

I really recommend reading the story of the tower of babel and whatnot and then comparing it to the program notes/performance. Once you understand the original context, the show is really well thought out already to portray the design.

I just do not think you should have to study a story to understand a show.  The show itself should tell the story for the audience, but I thank you for your advice.  

1 hour ago, jmc5682 said:

I just do not think you should have to study a story to understand a show.  The show itself should tell the story for the audience, but I thank you for your advice.  

I try not to dwell too much on the themes of shows anymore. Drum corps is a lot more enjoyable that way. For me it always comes down to which corps is presenting me with the most entertaining musical arrangements 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I try not to dwell too much on the themes of shows anymore. Drum corps is a lot more enjoyable that way. For me it always comes down to which corps is presenting me with the most entertaining musical arrangements 

Exactly. There truly is nothing new under the sun. Themes are the same way.

2 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I agree with you that a show should be enjoyable in and of itself. But some research of any work of art can deepen your appreciation of it. For instance, I have always loved Shostakovich's music,  but over time I gradually learned of how his works were influenced by Russian and Soviet history, and about his own fraught history with Soviet officials. This knowledge has added a level of richness to the experience of his music. Likewise, knowing the inspiration behind SCV's theme adds nuance to an understanding of their show. 

• Like 4