Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

2 hours ago, dans said:

Just got a good look at SCV's costumes. WTF! I didn't think it was possible to have uniforms worse than last year...man was I wrong. How does this not affect their visual score? Hard to take this corps seriously with these god awful uniforms. Go ahead, flame away...just being honest.

Well, I think their uniforms last year were great, especially the guard. Seeing the show live, this year's uniform choice is brilliant, and I'm not sure all has been revealed yet. I am wondering if those tops come off with something underneath. Anyway, from the stands it all worked exceptionally well. The show as a whole seemed like it was from another era compared with everyone else at Stanford - an era in the future. The whole thing is just so well designed. They are my pick to win it all this year.

• Like 5

I really miss the 2016 uniforms. Those are probably my all time favorite SCV uniforms and overall one of my favorite drum corps uniforms ever 

• Like 2

Vanguard hinted on Twitter at debuting the closer at the Rose Bowl on the 30th.

Edited by brassdude6171
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, I think their uniforms last year were great, especially the guard. Seeing the show live, this year's uniform choice is brilliant, and I'm not sure all has been revealed yet. I am wondering if those tops come off with something underneath. Anyway, from the stands it all worked exceptionally well. The show as a whole seemed like it was from another era compared with everyone else at Stanford - an era in the future. The whole thing is just so well designed. They are my pick to win it all this year.

This..... we are seeing the future. 

I am convinced this is the 2018 champion. Even this early there is not one moment that feels functional and every moment has an effect. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I am convinced this is the 2018 champion. Even this early there is not one moment that feels functional and every moment has an effect. 

I just watched a recent vid and I'm inclined to agree. This show has so many things for the members to just dig into and PERFORM--the super aggressive opener, the ballad, etc. Needs a closer and I'm not sold on the full corps dance number before that but the show overall is so solidly constructed.

I also like that the theme is pretty abstract and hope it stays that way--Cream uniforms, colorful guard, scaffolding props, almost Star 93-like (cliche to say that, I know)

18 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

Exactly. The show is designed to perfection and they have the talent to back it up. They will be challenging for every single caption award at finals.

33 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I just watched a recent vid and I'm inclined to agree. This show has so many things for the members to just dig into and PERFORM--the super aggressive opener, the ballad, etc. Needs a closer and I'm not sold on the full corps dance number before that but the show overall is so solidly constructed.

I also like that the theme is pretty abstract and hope it stays that way--Cream uniforms, colorful guard, scaffolding props, almost Star 93-like (cliche to say that, I know)

I got that vibe as well - put on a great show with what you need.

Having had the chance to watch it again, I sense the whole "Tower of Babel, disparate peoples doing different things" idea, esp. when the scaffold segments and member units are going in different directions...maybe leading up to a "let's work together and succeed (yay team!)" moment with the dance segment...or not :)

Putting in my request now to the weather satellite overlords for the night of the Massillon show...

• Like 1

unacceptable for SCV to be on p. 2 of DCP

i was in the stands the last time the corps won

the past few years have felt very much like 96-99 when the corps just built and built and built

love their show this year, and can't wait to see them in a couple of weeks live

Edited by Lance
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Lance said:

unacceptable for SCV to be on p. 2 of DCP

i was in the stands the last time the corps won

the past few years have felt very much like 96-99 when the corps just built and built and built

love their show this year, and can't wait to see them in a couple of weeks live

I will do what I can to keep SCV on page 1 of DCP. But how to do it, hmm.....

SCV's show this year is incredible.  It's too early for me to have an opinion for who's going to win it all, but man.... 

...I love me some aggressive drum corps, yo.  

• Like 2