Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

There is a video of them playing the full closer at Stanford. A chunk is not on the field right now and it's the best chunk IMO so I hope that is planning on being added.

10 minutes ago, quietcity said:

What are thoughts on new closer? From the videos, the music is great, but the ending seems tacked on and not that well integrated. I am wondering if there is more to come.

It’s very unlikely the ending as it exists currently will remain through the rest of the season - especially so given the audio excerpts from a few weeks ago. I can’t think of a vanguard show over at least the last 6 years where the ending wasn’t added to/changed. 2012 added in the Music of the night, 2013 added some drill to mix in the vanguard shield plus the giant flag, 2014 added the tag at the end with the trombones and guard member popping up through the fabric, 2015 added the lighting elements, 2016 added some drill (the tree too maybe?), and 2017 added in the rolling corps members and red to gold ouroboro design in the wheels.

If the past is any indication I would suspect to see something different emerge within the next 2 weeks or so, which would give them a few remaining weeks to polish and squeeze every last drop out of the show. Looking forward to the extended mello note making it in to the end of the closer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, scvphan said:

It’s very unlikely the ending as it exists currently will remain through the rest of the season - especially so given the audio excerpts from a few weeks ago. I can’t think of a vanguard show over at least the last 6 years where the ending wasn’t added to/changed. 2012 added in the Music of the night, 2013 added some drill to mix in the vanguard shield plus the giant flag, 2014 added the tag at the end with the trombones and guard member popping up through the fabric, 2015 added the lighting elements, 2016 added some drill (the tree too maybe?), and 2017 added in the rolling corps members and red to gold ouroboro design in the wheels.

If the past is any indication I would suspect to see something different emerge within the next 2 weeks or so, which would give them a few remaining weeks to polish and squeeze every last drop out of the show. Looking forward to the extended mello note making it in to the end of the closer!

The totally changed the closer last year musically and visually.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

The totally changed the closer last year musically and visually.

Yep, I should have mentioned more than just the visual but you’re spot on that they made musical changes as well. I think that goes for pretty much all the closer changes over time. Always have good stuff to hold on to until later in the season.

• Like 1

My only concerned about adding the last part of the closer is that it seems like it would put them over the time limit? So unless they are planning on making some changes to other parts of the show/closer to make the rest shorter, I don’t see how they’d add on that last bit that they previewed at Stanford 

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

My only concerned about adding the last part of the closer is that it seems like it would put them over the time limit? So unless they are planning on making some changes to other parts of the show/closer to make the rest shorter, I don’t see how they’d add on that last bit that they previewed at Stanford 

Making some of the intro pre-show instead might do it?

19 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Making some of the intro pre-show instead might do it?

Whatever happened to pre-shows? They were a thing for a while, but seem to have faded away.

• Like 1

Here is a high quality video of the hornline warm up. Full closer included!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I LOVE that sustained note that starts around 1:40! Very reminiscent of the sustained note in the Anaheim and Phantom versions of the Firebird finale...

• Like 1

I thought the time limit now was getting on and off the field in 18 minutes only. Theoretically, if you ran on and off the field the show itself could be almost 18 minutes. Is that true?