Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

7 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

Their show feels like a lesson in virtuosity! I really can’t see them being beaten. 

Yeah, I think they are going to run the table to Indy.

• Like 2

It is an incredible show. Musically, just a whole level up from everyone else.

That said, I hope they add something at the end. After spending much of the show boxed in/“oppressed”, it needs a bigger visual effect in the closer. Come on, MG!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PCEP00 said:

That said, I hope they add something at the end. After spending much of the show boxed in/“oppressed”, it needs a bigger visual effect in the closer. Come on, MG!

Musically it is there. They just haven't added the best chunk yet. I don't know why. I heard it at Stanford.

7. 62.40 Seattle Cascades

6. 67.20 Oregon Crusaders

5. 70.00 Pacific Crest

4. 75.25 Troopers

3. 77.90 Academy

2. 79.45 Blue Knights

1. 86.65 SCV

1 minute ago, PCEP00 said:

I'm sure they have something "in the bag".  As mentioned previously, their show is already running pretty long, so some have suggested that they might need to convert the beginning to a pre-show in order to add more to the ending.  As I watched the video from the Rose Bowl, there seems to be a spot about 1'20" in that could work for the announcement.  It will be interesting to see what the icing on the cake turns out to be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

I'm sure they have something "in the bag".  As mentioned previously, their show is already running pretty long, so some have suggested that they might need to convert the beginning to a pre-show in order to add more to the ending.  As I watched the video from the Rose Bowl, there seems to be a spot about 1'20" in that could work for the announcement.  It will be interesting to see what the icing on the cake turns out to be.

I think its been said a few times on here, but the new DCI rules don't have a time limit on the shows now. There is no preshow, so unless SCV does a 17 minute show, they wont have worry about going over. Musically, I think if you listen to the original ending, its probably going to only add another 15-20 seconds to the show. I'm sure, however, that MG will do something magical at the end of the show with his bag of tricks. I'd also bet on the new ending after SA, like most groups do nowadays.

• Like 1

no way the current ending will stay

it's the most powerful show i've ever seen live. the chord they hit in the ballad, and the horn duet on top of the boxes on opposite sides of the field are absolutely breathtaking.

and once they get the ending resolved, oh my

• Like 3

that low brass tho.. I say that every time I see the show! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trumpetcam said:

I think its been said a few times on here, but the new DCI rules don't have a time limit on the shows now. There is no preshow, so unless SCV does a 17 minute show, they wont have worry about going over. Musically, I think if you listen to the original ending, its probably going to only add another 15-20 seconds to the show. I'm sure, however, that MG will do something magical at the end of the show with his bag of tricks. I'd also bet on the new ending after SA, like most groups do nowadays.

Thanks for that.  I guess I was guilty of some old-school thought there:doh: Looking at their performance at DATR last night, the performance from start to finish was just over 12:30 - leaving only less than 4:30 for getting on, set-up, leaving.  I wonder if that is a concern for them, what with all the complexity of the electronic set-up.

30 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

Thanks for that.  I guess I was guilty of some old-school thought there:doh: Looking at their performance at DATR last night, the performance from start to finish was just over 12:30 - leaving only less than 4:30 for getting on, set-up, leaving.  I wonder if that is a concern for them, what with all the complexity of the electronic set-up.

This missing chunk is only 10 seconds long. It's the best moment musically of the year. I hope it finds its way back in.

• Like 1