Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

2 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

So people are asking if Babylon will beat the score set by Felliniesque, which may not be possible this season. I think a better question is whether Babylon can set the new Vanguard high score by beating Phantom of the Opera's 98.800.

Right, I don't think they will get quite that high.  I'm going to say 98.7 on Finals night.....

3 hours ago, TRacer said:

I just wanted to quickly add that the SCV’s brother/sister corps torched the competition tonight at the West Coast OC Championships show in Pleasanton, CA, taking GE by over a point and Brass by 0.6 on their way to breaking a 73. The “Unified Brass Teaching” is certainly paying off! I’m just tickled pink (cream?) that both SCV corps are dominating their respective landscapes this year! :angel1:

I’m wondering what has happened to Vanguard’s WGI presence? Have they abandoned the guard and percussion ensembles in favor of a renewed focused on DCI?

Wouldn’t it be insane if Vanguard won wgi, open class and world class DCI in a single year? That would be a feat!

On 7/20/2018 at 2:49 PM, ashevillemurphy said:

Why are the various "tops" of the props/platforms not decorated, with a pattern or changeable coverings... like the round props last year?

Maybe because of safety... although they moved around on top of last years props too...

I would guess for clarity and readability for the times when performers are on top of them. If you put a design on them it could clutter up what is actually happening on top. The color scheme of the show is generally pretty minimal in the uniforms and staging so they clearly intend for a bland color palette to let the colors that are used pop out.

Congratulations, SCV!  Keep it up!

Edited by sched88

If SCV is indeed 50% rookies, does anyone know where they came from? I know they had huge age out numbers last season, so it’s shocking to see them achieve at this level in 2018.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

If SCV is indeed 50% rookies, does anyone know where they came from? 

Based on the brass scores, BD maybe?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

I would guess for clarity and readability for the times when performers are on top of them. If you put a design on them it could clutter up what is actually happening on top. The color scheme of the show is generally pretty minimal in the uniforms and staging so they clearly intend for a bland color palette to let the colors that are used pop out.

It's very well designed in that way

• Like 1

The first ensemble entrance, when they grab their instruments off the field, and immediately launch into LOUD, aggressive, brass hits, is really something. Peels your face off. Not a down movement in this show.

Also, I don't get the whole "they don't cover the field" criticism. They have a baritone duet on opposite 20's! What more do you want? I think the tight drill fits the "urban escape" theme and completely works. SCV is on another level this year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, just_another_fanatic said:

I’m wondering what has happened to Vanguard’s WGI presence? Have they abandoned the guard and percussion ensembles in favor of a renewed focused on DCI?

Wouldn’t it be insane if Vanguard won wgi, open class and world class DCI in a single year? That would be a feat!

SCV's winter guard was programmed by Jon Vanderkoff also drill designer for Bluecoats.  

19 minutes ago, xandandl said:

SCV's winter guard was programmed by Jon Vanderkoff also drill designer for Bluecoats.  

And his design team with SCVWG, a couple of years after the unit was shelved, decided to form Bluecoats Indoor, which made IW Finals in its inaugural season.