Madison Scouts 2018

Organizations who accept mediocrity will always be mediocre. Change in any organization is difficult but the longer you put it off the worst your situation becomes.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, swmstom said:

I started the 2017 thread...why not 2018. Let's hear ya. What do you wish for in 2018? Keep costumes? Go back to superman suit? Modernize superman suit? Show ideas?  Let's get the banter going.

Keep a costume based show! Maybe another sci-fi theme based show like "Aliens vs "Predators" or "Avatar" "Waterworld" something like that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Right, fire everybody after a season where they turned around their faltering results, mounted a roaring comeback to make Finals without breaking a sweat, and proving that they wouldn't be left 2 years behind everyone else with the evolving design patterns of the modern activity. That'll make things better.

Can't we just ####### enjoy Madison back in Finals for a few days before trashing the organization again? PLEASE?!?

I am happy Madison returned to finals, and I have no opinion as to who should and should not be replaced, but I would not call Madison's return a "roaring comeback." There were two important factors in Madison's return to finals:  Academy did not sufficiently clean their show and in spite of a great effort, Mandarins did not have the fire power needed. I also sat with lots of Madison folks for three days in Indy. I can assure you the marching members indeed broke a sweat on a Friday in semi's as did staff, board members, alums, and current parents. They were very concerned about a strong Academy performance st semi's and learned last year what momentum and a positive attitude can do demonstrated by BAC, which made them more than concerned about Mandarins. Madison knows it can't afford to rest. Troopers are going to have big plans for their 60th, Academy will want to return to finals, Mandarins were caught by surprise at the thought the could even possibly make finals and know what it will take for that to happen, and Spirit is pleased with thus year's progress and has great hopes of retention and a return to finals. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am happy Madison returned to finals, and I have no opinion as to who should and should not be replaced, but I would not call Madison's return a "roaring comeback." There were two important factors in Madison's return to finals:  Academy did not sufficiently clean their show and in spite of a great effort, Mandarins did not have the fire power needed. I also sat with lots of Madison folks for three days in Indy. I can assure you the marching members indeed broke a sweat on a Friday in semi's as did staff, board members, alums, and current parents. They were very concerned about a strong Academy performance st semi's and learned last year what momentum and a positive attitude can do demonstrated by BAC, which made them more than concerned about Mandarins. Madison knows it can't afford to rest. Troopers are going to have big plans for their 60th, Academy will want to return to finals, Mandarins were caught by surprise at the thought the could even possibly make finals and know what it will take for that to happen, and Spirit is pleased with thus year's progress and has great hopes of retention and a return to finals. 

Exactly. And the current admin has shown that, when facing a strong push, they aren't capable of keeping their heads above water. Instead we get comments like, "...but Sal Salas." That was over 10 years ago, people. If Sal was able to put this corps into a 10+ year financial hole, then heads should roll for ANYONE who allowed him to wield that kind of unchecked power. Perhaps they already have, but that excuse is nothing more than a crutch and excuses aren't good enough anymore. Everyone out of Finals is gunning for the Scouts now and, without change at the top, they are in a very precarious position come next season. Don't tell me that an all-male corps can't still be competitive, either. Cavies finished 4th.

Set trends, don't follow them. Take drum corps back in the direction of bad ### powerful, melodic music while still meeting the competitive criteria. I can't believe it's an either/or proposition.

Just my $.02.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Prsmpower4 said:

They could maybe redo this show!!!

Hey, that was my first finals! Drove there from Chicago.

I like much of what is on the field today, but what a thrill to see the marching in this. And a sort of mosh pit that is authentic. Today, a mosh pit moment seems all too common, and there's a lot of fake-looking moshing going on. Plus, why bother if the mics are working?

As for the anniversary show, a throwback would be great. But maybe only in brief moments. There's risk going with signature pieces, like Malaguena. It could be cheesy, not at the quality level it deserves, or perceived as a sign of a lack of forward thinking. I'm glad SCV didn't take this road in 2017.

But I'll also happily take it, if that's the direction the Scouts go.

As long as they go back to looking like the Madison Scouts I don't care what they do as long as it's entertaining. I didn't enjoy any aspect of their show this year. 

• Like 3