Madison Scouts 2018

12 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

My earlier comment seems to be deleted, but I wanted to clarify something. Someone kindly PM'ed me saying my comments came off as religious bigotry, and I agree with him/her. I myself identify as Christian, and I have many Christian friends, of course, who are supportive of LGBTQ rights, some not. I did not mean to generalize all Christians with that statement, and I apologize for the offense of that. I should have worded myself much more carefully.

Good form... keep posting whenever you are inclined.. I enjoy reading different posters take on things, and you seem quite rational, intelligent and civil.

Edited by BRASSO

I know I'm not the only one old enough to remember the Scouts marching a female (Carmen, 2005?). At the time, labeling her a "guest performer" was a convenient subterfuge on the larger gender issue. Perhaps no more because surely she showered during the summer. I'd argue the Scouts left the door open that day. Tough for a would-be all-male corps to argue now that it can't accommodate one man if it already accommodated one woman.

HH 

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I personal think Madison should become co-ed. They are missing out on a huge portion of the talent pool by staying all male.

and Cavies?

I honestly don't care one way or the other in terms of this gender issue...that is whether a corps chooses to be inclusive or exclusive....but they better be ready and prepared to deal with the PR nightmare...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glory said:

I know I'm not the only one old enough to remember the Scouts marching a female (Carmen, 2005?). At the time, labeling her a "guest performer" was a convenient subterfuge on the larger gender issue. Perhaps no more because surely she showered during the summer. I'd argue the Scouts left the door open that day. Tough for a would-be all-male corps to argue now that it can't accommodate one man if it already accommodated one woman.

HH 

Heck, I'm old enough to remember Bill Howard's daughter playing Alice in the 1971 show...competed against them a few times that summer.  :bored:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I honestly don't care one way or the other in terms of this gender issue...that is whether a corps chooses to be inclusive or exclusive....but they better be ready and prepared to deal with the PR nightmare...

PR nightmare?  Nobody knows what drum corps is. 

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

My earlier comment seems to be deleted, but I wanted to clarify something. Someone kindly PM'ed me saying my comments came off as religious bigotry, and I agree with him/her. I myself identify as Christian, and I have many Christian friends, of course, who are supportive of LGBTQ rights, some not. I did not mean to generalize all Christians with that statement, and I apologize for the offense of that. I should have worded myself much more carefully.

That was a classy post. Bravo. I think 95% would double down with a post defending their original post.  But not you.  

On 10/27/2017 at 9:26 AM, HockeyDad said:

Ahh the social justice warriers don't let a moment go to waste.  Madison Scouts can include or exclude whomever they wish for whatever reason they wish.  

Exactly right. Why would someone want to join an organization who doesn't want them as a member?

On 10/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, rpbobcat said:

I'm not sure.

You're talking about someone with female genitalia so you get into all kinds of potential predicaments,especially if you have have corps members who are minors.

Yup

40 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

PR nightmare?  Nobody knows what drum corps is. 

JUST marching band