Madison Scouts 2018

On 11/6/2017 at 3:36 AM, thirdcoast said:

Talk Drum Corps to me.

What's your favorite moment from 1988?

8/19/1988 I was 3 years 5 days old. Seems kinda late for finals. 

Malaguena has always been my favorite piece of marching literature...it has been since my freshman year of high school when I played a watered down version of the 3rd trumpet part.

Scouts 88 is the one show I would want to go back in time to see live.  Cadets 03 just doesn't do this piece justice.

24 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Malaguena has always been my favorite piece of marching literature...it has been since my freshman year of high school when I played a watered down version of the 3rd trumpet part.

Scouts 88 is the one show I would want to go back in time to see live.  Cadets 03 just doesn't do this piece justice.

Edited by dans
Didn't add a response

On 10/30/2017 at 5:16 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

I personal think Madison should become co-ed. They are missing out on a huge portion of the talent pool by staying all male.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:00 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

There used to be a lot of all female corps. I guess there aren't any all female guards anymore because Regiment has opened the doors back up to males, but I wonder if an MTF had auditioned for Regiment in the past. Guess we'll never know.

I think your second post answers your first. There aren't any more all-female corps for a reason. Outside of guard, there are MANY more males that march corps (horns/drums) than females.

The last week of tour in 1988 we were on the East Coast,  we won the show getting ready for our standstill. Yep, I magically became sick.

Right to the crowd is where I went. 

That was a magical evening and I loved sharing it in the crowd.

In 1988

the crowds made us better every day. 

Auditions start this weekend. 

To every young man out there, we have  a structure set up.

A very good thought that no matter your means, you can be blue, you can be different,  you can be... we want you to try.

We have hundreds of alumni just waiting to meet and help if needed. 

The 2018 MADISON SCOUTS are going to be Epic! 

Tickets are on sale soon for shows all over the country, 

heck you may just see me playing at Whitewater again, 

hint hint.

See you all soon, I look Forward to it. 

Peace 

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 7:08 PM, ThePlanets said:

This is a cool way to spend the off season with everyone. 

These responses make us very humbled. 

Awesome 

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 8:08 PM, ThePlanets said:

Back in the day, drum corps competitive season used to run until Labor Day and sometimes after. (For instance EMass and Boston CYO circuits' championships were after school started  the first week of September and the Cardinal of Boston used to write excuse notes to get mms back from colleges, novitiates, and service academies; Boonton "Nationals" in NJ were the first weekend after Labor Day, etc.) Even VFW and Am Leg. Nationals were later in August. In 1972 when DCI started, that was the calendar that DCI had to consider in deciding first Whitewater Championships. For a long time, DCIs were always the third weekend in August. Then along came ESPN and everything changed. 

ESPN offered the NCAA TV more football weekends if the seasons started earlier which meant college band camps started earlier. We have been stuck with that ever since. Midwestern, Southern and Texan football idolaters soon followed.

Most corps then were from urban area (excepting the Troopers) and they didn't have to consider Midwestern and Southern harvest cycles. As the drum corps map broadened, heat, humidity, and planting/harvest cycles came into play as  their schools defined summer vacations differently from how the West Coast, Pacific Northwest,, and Northeast did the Memorial Day to Labor Day cycle and do so even now. The advent of computer technology, the popularization of air conditioning, and the expansion of drum corps touring into Florida, Texas, Sunbelt, and Gulf Coast States moved the championships from the third to the second weekend of August, even earlier if you consider the miscalculation of Denver's stadium and the one time Tour of Champions on the West Coast in 2004. Even today the drum corps championships in Europe are always in September, but before Michaelmas when schools open. Odd educational experiments such as Indiana's starting school July 31st have done away with summer vacations as most have known them.

The way you experienced life is not always the way it has been in DCI.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

In the 50's, 60's ( before DCI ) the acknowledged Drum Corps National Championships were the VFW and American Legion National Championships. Corps, both Junior and Senior, would compete in these National Championships where and when these Veteran Groups decided to hold their National Convention. So if it was Miami.. in October...  well then, thats where and when the Corps would go. But of course, not all the top Corps in any given year could go. When the Championships were, in a few years, on the West Coast, most of the East ( and midwest ) Corps opted not to go as it was too expensive for them to make the trip out there for just Prelims, Finals. Same with many of the west coast Corps too when the Nationals that season would be held back east.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1