Madison Scouts 2018

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Back in the day, drum corps competitive season used to run until Labor Day and sometimes after. (For instance EMass and Boston CYO circuits' championships were after school started  the first week of September and the Cardinal of Boston used to write excuse notes to get mms back from colleges, novitiates, and service academies; Boonton "Nationals" in NJ were the first weekend after Labor Day, etc.)

First show I ever saw in mid-September 1963 was at Livingston, NJ, sponsored by the Livingston Hilltoppers junior corps. I was 10, and in the feeder corps. I was a judge runner, and I sat on the sldeline during the show to go out and pick up my assigned judges's sheet after each corps.

The Boonton show noted above was sponsored by the Harmony senior corps, a pretty good parade corps that wore all black Cadet-style unis. In a foreshadowing kind of way, they used band brass instruments, not corps brass.they also had a glock section.  A log of corps looked like swiss cheese due to missing members by that time of year.

There was also the Wildwood NJ American Legion States that happened in early September. Always loved that show, as that is when the ocean was at its warmest. 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeD said:

First show I ever saw in mid-September 1963 was at Livingston, NJ, sponsored by the Livingston Hilltoppers junior corps. I was 10, and in the feeder corps. I was a judge runner, and I sat on the sldeline during the show to go out and pick up my assigned judges's sheet after each corps.

The Boonton show noted above was sponsored by the Harmony senior corps, a pretty good parade corps that wore all black Cadet-style unis. In a foreshadowing kind of way, they used band brass instruments, not corps brass.they also had a glock section.  A log of corps looked like swiss cheese due to missing members by that time of year.

There was also the Wildwood NJ American Legion States that happened in early September. Always loved that show, as that is when the ocean was at its warmest. 

I remember those "September show days" well.

The Eastern States Circuit championship was usually Labor Day weekend, and as you mentioned, the Wildwood show happened the weekend after that.  I agree with you, that Wildwood weekend was always a lot of fun.

I think the DCA championship show was held later in September a couple of times before it moved to its current "home" on Labor Day weekend.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember those "September show days" well.

The Eastern States Circuit championship was usually Labor Day weekend, and as you mentioned, the Wildwood show happened the weekend after that.  I agree with you, that Wildwood weekend was always a lot of fun.

I think the DCA championship show was held later in September a couple of times before it moved to its current "home" on Labor Day weekend.

Yeah...VFW States were in Wildwood in June, but the Atlantic was FREEEEEEEZING then, but the Boardwalk was still great.   

Oh, well, back to the Scouts!    

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Oh, well, back to the Scouts!    

Last summer, we saw the "Mad Max" uniforms up close when we walked past some Scouts in the park in Allentown.  That changed my mind about those unis, which I first thought were... well... weird.  LOL.  But up close... they looked awesome.  The attention to detail was really cool. 

Looking forward to what the Scouts put on the field in '18!!!

• Like 4

On 10/31/2017 at 6:11 PM, HockeyDad said:

PR nightmare?  Nobody knows what drum corps is. 

Sorry bud, I am going to have to agree to disagree. 

I walked with the crowds at Indy a couple years ago with the 

Jim Ott Brass Ensemble at semi finals 

The Jim Ott Brass Ensemble Thirdcoast for Soundsport, 

MSARC, Macy's, The 3 Performance Groups  (twin cities pod, TKO pod, Wisconsin pod), 2018 Mardi Gras with The Super Corps to name a bit. All that to me, is moot. Fluff.

The 2018 Madison Scouts are rollin. 

I can't wait to see what is next. 

See you soon Gentlemen, I look FORWARD to it! 

Peace 

18 hours ago, xandandl said:

Back in the day, drum corps competitive season used to run until Labor Day and sometimes after. (For instance EMass and Boston CYO circuits' championships were after school started  the first week of September and the Cardinal of Boston used to write excuse notes to get mms back from colleges, novitiates, and service academies; Boonton "Nationals" in NJ were the first weekend after Labor Day, etc.) Even VFW and Am Leg. Nationals were later in August. In 1972 when DCI started, that was the calendar that DCI had to consider in deciding first Whitewater Championships. For a long time, DCIs were always the third weekend in August. Then along came ESPN and everything changed. 

ESPN offered the NCAA TV more football weekends if the seasons started earlier which meant college band camps started earlier. We have been stuck with that ever since. Midwestern, Southern and Texan football idolaters soon followed.

Most corps then were from urban area (excepting the Troopers) and they didn't have to consider Midwestern and Southern harvest cycles. As the drum corps map broadened, heat, humidity, and planting/harvest cycles came into play as  their schools defined summer vacations differently from how the West Coast, Pacific Northwest,, and Northeast did the Memorial Day to Labor Day cycle and do so even now. The advent of computer technology, the popularization of air conditioning, and the expansion of drum corps touring into Florida, Texas, Sunbelt, and Gulf Coast States moved the championships from the third to the second weekend of August, even earlier if you consider the miscalculation of Denver's stadium and the one time Tour of Champions on the West Coast in 2004. Even today the drum corps championships in Europe are always in September, but before Michaelmas when schools open. Odd educational experiments such as Indiana's starting school July 31st have done away with summer vacations as most have known them.

The way you experienced life is not always the way it has been in DCI.

I drove the souvenir truck for that 2004 TOC. Those kids were Super Stars with me. I was giving them my ring to wear the whole tour. Yep, we had fun!

9 hours ago, thirdcoast said:

Sorry bud, I am going to have to agree to disagree. 

I walked with the crowds at Indy a couple years ago with the 

Jim Ott Brass Ensemble at semi finals 

The Jim Ott Brass Ensemble Thirdcoast for Soundsport, 

MSARC, Macy's, The 3 Performance Groups  (twin cities pod, TKO pod, Wisconsin pod), 2018 Mardi Gras with The Super Corps to name a bit. All that to me, is moot. Fluff.

The 2018 Madison Scouts are rollin. 

I can't wait to see what is next. 

See you soon Gentlemen, I look FORWARD to it! 

Peace 

That would be awesome to see the 2018 Madison Scouts "rollin" as you put it. That still doesn't mean drum corps is an identifiable activity outside a small group of enthusiasts. So yes we can agree to disagree. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2017 at 2:36 AM, thirdcoast said:

Talk Drum Corps to me.

What's your favorite moment from 1988?

Singing MYNWA to the crowd after we won and before our victory run. Nobody left the crowd. They all wanted to see the show again. 

It was electric! 

Yep 

Edited by thirdcoast

The 2018 MADISON SCOUTS are rollin. 

Tryouts have begun. 

Just a hint to any young gentlemen out there. If you have the want to March in The Corps, but don't have the means,  we have that covered. We want you to try. If you have a problem, just ask. 

It's really that simple. 

Be well, see you soon. 

I look FORWARD to it. 

Peace