Madison Scouts 2018

Taras Nahirniak is returning to the Scouts, this time as the Music Coordinator!

http://www.madisonscoutslive.com/mainsite/2017/11/taras-nahirniak-joins-scouts-design-team/

• Like 1

Glad to see Taras back with the corps. As much as I hate to see Van Mathews not in this role, Taras is brilliant and will do great things.

In addition to being a great arranger, and being a large part of show design choices in the 80's and 90's, his compositions for the corps he did, along with current brass arranger Scott Boerma were all solid.

Just to name a few, Taras wrote original music as the closer for 1993, the percussion feature of 1995, and the closer for 1997.

This is a great pick up. It also helps that with him being music coordinator, Scott Boerma as brass arranger, Chad Duggan and Kurt Jull heading up much of the visual and program coordination, teaming up again as they all worked together in similar roles throughout the 90's, when the corps had consistently high levels of show design, IMO.

38 minutes ago, dcifan1999 said:

Glad to see Taras back with the corps. As much as I hate to see Van Mathews not in this role, Taras is brilliant and will do great things.

In addition to being a great arranger, and being a large part of show design choices in the 80's and 90's, his compositions for the corps he did, along with current brass arranger Scott Boerma were all solid.

Just to name a few, Taras wrote original music as the closer for 1993, the percussion feature of 1995, and the closer for 1997.

This is a great pick up. It also helps that with him being music coordinator, Scott Boerma as brass arranger, Chad Duggan and Kurt Jull heading up much of the visual and program coordination, teaming up again as they all worked together in similar roles throughout the 90's, when the corps had consistently high levels of show design, IMO.

My only concern would have to be whether Boerma/Jull/Nahirniak are capable of producing a quality show while also conforming to the design standards of today. This activity is VERY different than it was back in the late '90s, and if the three of them create a show that's entertaining but not what the judges are looking for, it could be a big setback for the Scouts. Then again, Chad Duggan is returning and he had a great hand in designing the 2017 show that launched them back into Finals, so this should help.

Looking forward to the show announcement and seeing the Men of Madison return to Buffalo this August.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'm not concerned - it's not like they've been transported in a time capsule from 1999 to today.  They've all been doing their thing in the time since, too.  I'm hella excited to see what they come up with!

Mike

I agree, I don't think the show will be a retread of anything the corps has done in the past, or that it will be a show that is designed for 1999. I'm sure it'll be a product that will be up to standards of 2018.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:35 PM, thirdcoast said:

The last week of tour in 1988 we were on the East Coast,  we won the show getting ready for our standstill. Yep, I magically became sick.

Right to the crowd is where I went. 

That was a magical evening and I loved sharing it in the crowd.

In 1988

the crowds made us better every day. 

Your win in '88 was one of the most exciting nights of my life. But, you were never on the east coast in 1988 (assuming you're talking about Madison here). The closest you ever got to the east coast was Morgantown, West Virginia. You spent the last couple of weeks in the south and midwest. I know you're whole tour so well, because I've studied the '88 season a lot. It was SO EXCITING.

Edited by queenanne_1536

On 12/1/2017 at 1:22 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

My only concern would have to be whether Boerma/Jull/Nahirniak are capable of producing a quality show while also conforming to the design standards of today. This activity is VERY different than it was back in the late '90s, .

I don't see why not. The BD staff , in some cases, have been together for much longer than " the 90's ", and they've adapted well to the new judging sheets. Michael Gaines went away from DCI for awhile, came back, but is not writing the same stuff for SCV now that he wrote 15-20 years ago for the Cavaliers that helped the Cavs win or medal. The key is the ability to adapt to the changing environment, Heck, most of the current Show Designers have been doing this DCI Rodeo for decades and have forged the modern changes to it themselves. So they all know one another in the DCI/ BOA/ WGI comparatively small world of Show Designers/Program Coordinators, and thus are capable of creating new and exciting stuff... most of them anyway.

Edited by BRASSO