Madison Scouts 2018

Having watched a few a few videos and talking with folks I marched with who have seen them in person, if they don't drastically improve their guard - they will be on the outside looking in on finals night.   

The talent level is not where it needs to be.  Coupled with awkward work and bad design, well....   it makes for a hard product.

They can fix this - if the powers that be ACTUALLY listen AND (very importantly) staff are willing to stick it out.  It's a hard place to offer feedback.

There’s still another week in June. It’s worth giving all time to develop and clean the show. 

17 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, this thread's heating up. If Scouts don't make finals (yes it's way too premature and shame on me for even bringing it up but I want to ask), do we see a leadership change?  

I try to stay out of madison talks because most get angry with me  ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯ I think a change would be needed. The Lions had a coach that was in and out of the playoffs and fired him to try and always ve in the playoffs. 

Seems like a generic DCI show. Not bad. The girl flugelhorn player is very good and moves across the field nicely. I suppose she was an artistic choice. Having a guy fill that role would have seemed out of place -- just like they needed a girl to dance with the guard in the Carmen show years ago. But there is absolutely nothing about this show that says Madison Scouts. If the announcer didn't tell me, I'd have no idea which corps I was watching. Well, with 150 or so guys on the field, I'd actually have a better than 50/50 shot of guessing which corps it was :biggrin:

Since the Scouts are changing and adapting to the requirements of the current DCI, they might as well fully admit girls and reemerge next season under a new name. Retire the Madison Scouts to history since the corps really belongs to a different era of drum and bugle corps, which sadly no longer exists.

10 minutes ago, WarriorHal said:

Seems like a generic DCI show. Not bad. The girl flugelhorn player is very good and moves across the field nicely. I suppose she was an artistic choice. Having a guy fill that role would have seemed out of place -- just like they needed a girl to dance with the guard in the Carmen show years ago. But there is absolutely nothing about this show that says Madison Scouts. If the announcer didn't tell me, I'd have no idea which corps I was watching. Well, with 150 or so guys on the field, I'd actually have a better than 50/50 shot of guessing which corps it was :biggrin:

Since the Scouts are changing and adapting to the requirements of the current DCI, they might as well fully admit girls and reemerge next season under a new name. Retire the Madison Scouts to history since the corps really belongs to a different era of drum and bugle corps, which sadly no longer exists.

Technically they wouldn't need a name change. Boy scouts will be changing to Scouts America or a name like that while including girls. When that happens I think it will be the most accepting time to make the move. 

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Technically they wouldn't need a name change. Boy scouts will be changing to Scouts America or a name like that while including girls. When that happens I think it will be the most accepting time to make the move. 

Even if the boy scouts were changing to Scouts America they wouldn't need to change their name. The Scouts aren't affiliated with the boy scouts.

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Even if the boy scouts were changing to Scouts America they wouldn't need to change their name. The Scouts aren't affiliated with the boy scouts.

giphy.gif

This was the quote referring to changing the name, which I would agree with:

Retire the Madison Scouts to history since the corps really belongs to a different era of drum and bugle corps, which sadly no longer exists.”

Had nothing to do with the Boy Scouts. Again, try and keep up.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

I want Madison Scouts to remain all male but I fear that a poorly designed show and controversial costume choice will be used as reasoning for going co-ed. I think another failure to make Top 12 will do just that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

giphy.gif

This was the quote referring to changing the name, which I would agree with:

Retire the Madison Scouts to history since the corps really belongs to a different era of drum and bugle corps, which sadly no longer exists.”

Had nothing to do with the Boy Scouts. Again, try and keep up.

Exactly my point -- you got it.  Going coed along with the monumental changes of 2017-2018 would result in a fundamentally different corps that should have a different name. BSA and what they are doing is totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1