Madison Scouts 2018

I haven't posted on this site in a few years but I can't NOT say something any longer. 

The Madison Scouts have lost their way...and it makes me sad, angry, frustrated, hurt...among several other.  I told my wife, I can't do Madison this year...she was shocked.   I was never a Scout, but when I marched, I felt like I was.  I know I'm old school....I get Drum Corps of today is different, most of which, I'm ok with.  But whoever is running Madison right now should be fired for taking such a storied and TRADITIONAL franchise and trying to make them something they aren't.   They are barely beating the Colts and likely won't make finals...again.  Their scores are a joke.   I don't necessarily like what SCV is doing as of late, especially losing the hats and changing the uniforms to not looks much like traditional SCV, but at least they are good and whoever is running the Org is trying.  Madison on the other hand...

Wanna know who the Madison Scouts are?  

Go to You Tube.  Search Madison Scouts 2018, full show is there.  But we don't need the full show.  All we need is the 1st part which ends at 2:28.  Listen to it.  Where's the actual Music?  Oh I hear some at around the 2:00 mark.  This is your 2018 Madison Scouts  But, they don't look or sound like Madison Scouts. 

Now....search Madison Scouts 1992.  Listen to the first song...ends at 2:48. Listen to the passion...I don't care if there is errors in their musical ability or because they are playing G horns...LISTEN to it...

Now, compare the two....NOT EVEN CLOSE!  What?!?!?  Madison plays music?   YES! 

If you can't hear the difference, you are the problem.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Q of A said:

Nice back peddling. Oh, his shows died, sees response, ohhhh you are so wonderfull! xxxxxxxxxxx

lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Q of A said:

The goal is to win, or compete to win. Not just make finals.. 

It's just not that easy anymore. The talent level in DCI is higher than it's ever been, and you have to be so consistent, and make consistent improvement each year in order just to make finals and stay there. To stay 14th-11th each year is extremely difficult. You've got Blue Stars who have been perennial finalists for about ten years, Crossmen who over the past five/six years have really established themselves as solidly in the 12th-11th spot and then about four corps, including Academy, Mandarins, Colts and Madison, which REASONABLY can expect to contend for 12th or 11th.

To be in contention to win is a ten-year project. You have to understand where you are in that time frame. You need a solid administration with a vision and a young, smart staff that wants to stay around and build. The models for that are Bluecoats 2004-2016, Crown 2004-13. Boston and Cavies are on that road now. I am also impressed with what I am seeing so far out of Crossmen this year.

Madison is at the VERY BEGINNING of that process. Why, how, doesn't matter now. If Madison's staff/admin is not on the right track to become a consistent finalist corps in the next few years, perhaps the changes need to be made. But ranting about how they should win and contend to win now just because of the name 'Madison Scouts' is unrealistic and simply undercuts credibility. Madison fans, RIGHT NOW, should be hoping for 12th or as a long shot 11th. if they fall out for the next two/three years, it may well be time for a change. But you need to think for the long term.

I am looking forward to seeing Madison tomorrow night. I am sure they will be in the mix in August.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 5

I am tired of the, if you dont like it, just be positive! Your hurting the corps with your words!  Tell us what to do constructively!! Ya, like the staff is going to listen. Well, just send money for us to #### away! This show is a fail. Costumes are sad. And the featured soloist is no where near a “FEATURED “ soloist. Mic ed with autotune and reverb?? Really.  The forced hype is tired. The goal is to win, or compete to win. Not just make finals.. 

So, you want the Scouts to compete for a title, but not do it the way everyone else is doing it.  That's a very small corner you're asking them to paint themselves in to.

Mike

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, rainshdw08 said:

I haven't posted on this site in a few years but I can't NOT say something any longer. 

The Madison Scouts have lost their way...and it makes me sad, angry, frustrated, hurt...among several other.  I told my wife, I can't do Madison this year...she was shocked.   I was never a Scout, but when I marched, I felt like I was.  I know I'm old school....I get Drum Corps of today is different, most of which, I'm ok with.  But whoever is running Madison right now should be fired for taking such a storied and TRADITIONAL franchise and trying to make them something they aren't.   They are barely beating the Colts and likely won't make finals...again.  Their scores are a joke.   I don't necessarily like what SCV is doing as of late, especially losing the hats and changing the uniforms to not looks much like traditional SCV, but at least they are good and whoever is running the Org is trying.  Madison on the other hand...

Wanna know who the Madison Scouts are?  

Go to You Tube.  Search Madison Scouts 2018, full show is there.  But we don't need the full show.  All we need is the 1st part which ends at 2:28.  Listen to it.  Where's the actual Music?  Oh I hear some at around the 2:00 mark.  This is your 2018 Madison Scouts  But, they don't look or sound like Madison Scouts. 

Now....search Madison Scouts 1992.  Listen to the first song...ends at 2:48. Listen to the passion...I don't care if there is errors in their musical ability or because they are playing G horns...LISTEN to it...

Now, compare the two....NOT EVEN CLOSE!  What?!?!?  Madison plays music?   YES! 

If you can't hear the difference, you are the problem.   

Thank you for your passion. Post more often. I think what you are accurately observing (lack of sustained melody) is a phenomenon of today's DCI as a whole. Madison is far from the only corps doing it. I think we are seeing all the lemmings playing follow the leader. And the leader is BD. What Blue Devils do, the rest will soon follow. And right now BD does what we seem to refer to as chop-and-bop. So now they all do it. I think these designers are either risk averse or not too creative. Or both. Ironically back in the day BD did Channel One Suite, which clocked in somewhere around eight minutes (someone will correct this). If they returned to something like that and won, everyone would follow again. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeN said:

So, you want the Scouts to compete for a title, but not do it the way everyone else is doing it.  That's a very small corner you're asking them to paint themselves in to.

Mike

How did you get that from what he/she said?

17 hours ago, James Mason said:

Hey Queenanne, I think your observation is fair but maybe not complete. You need to consider many things ... one of the things that both groups had in common was maturity/talent. With Star in 88 & 89 I pushed for design that would lay down a technical foundation -with hopes to retain membership so we could then leap to the next level once we added our design direction (see 90, 91,92 and 93). The first couple years at Madison were designed to re-establish the Madison DNA. In 2014, it was time for them to establish a technical foundation that is why I chose the show that I did. It was not the same as the “other” Scout shows I did for them but I knew it was what was needed to move them forward to the next level realizing they might take a baby step back to be able to really move to the next level in 2015. I regrettably wasn’t able to continue. The corps did place higher that next year, so I think the strategy would have worked. Good luck to you and thank you for your comment.

i heart you

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Q of A said:

Nice back peddling. Oh, his shows died, sees response, ohhhh you are so wonderfull! xxxxxxxxxxx

at first i wanted to like this but....read what they said...something rare on DCP.

They admitted they never considered something mentioned, and how it changed their mind and way of thinking. I know showing your ### on DCP is a common thing, but admitting you may be wrong is one of the rarest things you'll ever see here. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Thank you for your kind words and exchange of ideas. I haven't been on here or have posted anything in a few years and probably won't again for awhile as I am busy creating another Blast/Disney show. My very best to you and please if you are at any Blast show, don't hesitate to introduce yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. You don't know me.

2. It was not back-peddling. I expressed my opinion. He thoughtfully responded in a courteous way, and gave an explanation that made sense. An explanation that contained something that I hadn't thought about. An explanation from someone who brought a corps from nothing to a world champion to a fan. A fan who has not nearly accomplished as much as James Mason.

3. I'm the biggest Star homer you would ever meet. Especially Star '89 to '93. 

• Like 3