Madison Scouts 2018

This is why Scouts seem doomed. They have alums who could help, but rather cling to their past experience and are unwilling to even consider change. They would rather see the corps not even make finals than do something different than their increasingly ancient past. And again for the record, Scouts were one of the corps that got me into drum corps. I would love to see them return to relevance. But not with these guys who sit around and brag about what studs they used to be back when dci shows bore no resemblance whatsoever to the spectacles they are today.

• Thanks 1

Personally,, if the Scouts did choose to go co-ed, I would hope they would change their name.  I just can't imagine the Scouts being co-ed.  This is just my opinion.  I can see both pros and cons to this.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This is why Scouts seem doomed. They have alums who could help, but rather cling to their past experience and are unwilling to even consider change. They would rather see the corps not even make finals than do something different than their increasingly ancient past. And again for the record, Scouts were one of the corps that got me into drum corps. I would love to see them return to relevance. But not with these guys who sit around and brag about what studs they used to be back when dci shows bore no resemblance whatsoever to the spectacles they are today.

Also, you also ignored the rest of that post to find the one thing you wanted to harp on. I was comparing the experiences I had marching 2 years in a coed corps vs marching with the Scouts and why an all-male corps provides a unique experience.

Most Madison users used to hate on me because of being from the other Wisconsin group but I loved Madison solely because I was a boy scout and I played Trumpet.  Ive been on the border of this who coed thing but nobody has given a clear reason that it would push them into the upper echelon.  Cavies aren't having a problem after a rebuild and it is a male dominated activity.  Its obvious when you put the Crown female brass players in its own ensemble (unless there were some left out) and its like 10-15% of the hornline.  So what it comes down to is saying the guard is the problem and they need girls? Phantom guard was successful without having males so why cant it be the other way?  I agree with him that Coed isn't the reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have hidden a bunch of posts that are personal attacks. I am not sure I have gone far enough, but please remember the terms of DCP....personal attacks are not permitted. This thread is getting dangerously close to being shut down. 

8 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

By 1992 that had most definitely changed, if not sooner. Madison was perhaps a bigger draw the first 14-16 years of DCI, which was over 30 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Cavies won 7 titles and have been a perennial top 5 corps, and Madison has been a perennial lower tier of the top 12 corps, missing finals several times. Cavies lowest placement since 1992 was 9th, Madison's highest placement since 1992 was 5th (once, in 1997). Again, comparing them from an all male or co-ed standpoint is useless. One is successful, one isn't. The Cavaliers don't have to figure it out - they already have. What they're doing is working, and they are a much bigger draw than Madison right now. I don't imagine it's even close. Madison needs to figure it out. Whatever the solution may be, Madison needs to find it, and if part of that solution is going co-ed then so be it. If you know a better solution than opening your ranks up to 30% or 40%, whatever that number may be, of the talent pool, then by all means......

Madison IMO was good place to be in the eyes of kids until 2000. From there it's been hit or miss, mostly miss

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

You want modern done right you call John Mapes and Ian Grom.  Give them full control of design and percussion.  Stop trying to rebuild the hornline by alumni with historical past and go out and get someone that has been on Crown Brass staff(look how Crossmen brass is doing) to revamp the horns. Find a Independent World guard staff that isnt affiliated with a corps yet to run the show.  I normally only read on here because it is interesting to see the views.  Most alumni say they arent doing modern right which is why Mapes and Grom would be the right pick.  They left DCI because of where they want to push the activity.

they also left because they felt constrained by drum corps. it's not all about the drums

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

You’re right. Just keep doing what you’ve been doing, it’s working great.

what you refuse to read is that it's so much more than gender. if having 150 ####'s were the sole issue, Cavies would be fighting to make finals too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Thats how you come out swinging

look, I love and worship both those guys. in my two years of having their assistance, i learned soooooo much.

but they are indoor guys. some people just don't cross over