Madison Scouts 2018

31 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I realize that masculinity is not allowed in the drum corps activity in 2018, and that alienates many potential marching members.

yeah it's killing cavaliers :doh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

Why aren't there more female judges?

no one tried to get approved?

5 minutes ago, Tupid_06 said:

I agree...going back to old uniforms and old music is not the right way....BUT, the last two years, the Scouts have been failing to build on their identity. Instead, they have torn down that identity and tried to build something new. That is not the right way to do it. 

I don't think most people are asking for them to go back pull stuff from the 70's, 80's and 90's and make a show out of it...They just want a show that has that Madison "swagger" to it. Was there something wrong with their 2015 show? Nobody seems to talk about it, yet that got them a decent placement at finals. It's a great example on how to do something new, and still build their identity. It FELT like a show the Madison Scouts would do and it had that Madison Scouts vibe to it. Why not forget the last 3 years of shows, and build on their identity starting from there? I thought they had a good thing going for them from 2010 - 2015.

When I think of the Scouts, I think of jazz, Broadway, pop...even some classical music. There is a decent range of genres to explore and build a program. I don't want them to go and play Ballet in Brass or Malaguena/Malaga again...I just want them to build on their identity and get that Madison Scouts swagger back. I don't feel it in this year's show...and I feel like it the the biggest thing they are missing. The choreography and style of the show just doesn't match their image they have been building for decades.

Well said. You articulated my thoughts better than I have.

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

no offense and I do mean that. This is probably the most out of touch  statement I have heard and there are lots here sometimes

and!

Oh yes there was nothing like satin shirts, feathers on hats, shiny buttons of years gone by that the average red blooded football , beer :whistle:drinkin, MAN would wear....lol

Current costumes are really different then uniforms of the past in the way they fit and the much more feminine elements like the long sequened "arm warmer" type things, sleeveless designs, form fit, etc.  They are much more akin to figure skating outfits then uniforms of the past.  My 13 year old son is a huge DCI fan but honestly cringed at some of the uniforms we saw at a recent show.  He said he'd be afraid of his hockey team seeing him in the Scout costume haha...  Honestly my kids were disappointed in seeing the new Madison look after watching old Scout footage and being fans of the Mighty Men of Madison 90's era shows.

The current costumes are more akin to what guard members or figure skaters wear.  Hate to say it but Scouts are the best example of this currently.  Scouts need to find a way to do modern but do it cool with the old Scout swagger.  Go back to being cool and Mighty, find a look that makes a hockey player want to join.

Edited by Guitar1974
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah it's killing cavaliers :doh:

Ummm...every drum corps has Male marching members.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The badaxx aspect of this activity that was a key factor in attracting many guys to march in drum corps is long gone. 

Most Finalist WC corps have upwards of 400-500 members (a majority of them male) auditioning every year. In the old days, you could walk in in late May to a Finalist corps and still get a spot.

So there goes that argument....

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

As a parent of a former Scout (aged out with them) and a Scouts fan FOR LIFE I keep thinking about how they would be received IF they were putting on the field the shows the Bluecoats have been doing the past few years...provided the talent level was equal of course.  

There would be little talk of going coed, no beachin' about uniforms and instrumentation, their financial picture undoubtedly better, and they would be among the rock stars of DCI.  Think about it...the Madison Scouts doing Tilt, Down Side Up, Jagged Line, or Session 44.  The crowds would be going NUTS for them just as much (maybe more) as they are for Bloo. 

I would think even their most fervent alumni critics would be screaming "THAT'S MY CORPS!"

I have not given up on the possibility that they can make their way back into the modern elite.
Cavies and SCV have done it.

I've posted a few times that Bloo is really the Scouts musically with costumes and modern drill.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

Current costumes are really different then uniforms of the past in the way they fit and the much more feminine elements like the long sequened "arm warmer" type things, sleeveless designs, form fit, etc.  They are much more akin to figure skating outfits then uniforms of the past.  My 13 year old son is a huge DCI fan but honestly cringed at some of the uniforms we saw at a recent show.  He said he'd be afraid of his hockey team seeing him in the Scout costume haha...  Honestly my kids were disappointed in seeing the new Madison look after watching old Scout footage and being fans of the Mighty Men of Madison 90's era shows.

The current costumes are more akin to what guard members or figure skaters wear.  Hate to say it but Scouts are the best example of this currently.

I remember BITD outsiders saying the same. and I wore a very traditional uniform

The Mighty Men thing was also, let's say a self-imposed assessment. 

4 minutes ago, Guitar1974 said:

The current costumes are more akin to what guard members or figure skaters wear.  Hate to say it but Scouts are the best example of this currently.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Comparing the current day drum corps costumes to figure skating outfits is perfect. Maybe Johnny Weir can host the next televised drum corps event?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I remember BITD outsiders saying the same. and I wore a very traditional uniform

The Mighty Men thing was also, let's say a self-imposed assessment. 

In 1970, my first year in the Cadets, we performed at the Princeton U P-rade, billed as the biggest sloppy parade in the world. It is part of their annual reunion weekend. Well, this was during the very anti-establishment hippie days, esp at Ivy League schools, so just imagine the looks we got from current students in our Cadet unis as we got off the buses to warm up (started with the opener, Gounod's "Queen of Sheba"). Our DM started "White Rabbit", and all of a sudden the mood changed 180 degrees. Kids flocked to watch us, and they were grooving to the tune. Needless to say, we pretty much ONLY played "White Rabbit" at that parade.   :bored:    

• Like 1