Madison Scouts 2018

i feel bad for current MMs.  No one likes to be a part of any group where it feels like EVERYONE is saying “X is nowhere near what they used to be.”    Add to that a bad show design, tight finances (look at the food the corps is serving), and staff that is fighting... well, that makes for a bad summer.  

Thete is still alot of summer left.  Let’s hope for the best!!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Add to that a bad show design, tight finances (look at the food the corps is serving), and staff that is fighting... well, that makes for a bad summer.  

What are the members being served at meals?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Am I the only person that thinks a certain number of Scouts fans and alumni live in this fantasy world that think their corps was and is the face of the activity? Refresh me, how many world titles have the Madison Scouts won? To be perfectly honest, the Madison Scouts have mostly been a middle of the top 12 corps in their prime. They would kick a** at the beginning of the season and peak at DCM. They had their heyday in the '70s and the '80s; but even then, they weren't even close to challenging for a world title. And all this talk about "Superman" suits...for real? The Madison Scouts have become nothing more than a caricature of what they used to be; still believing that '94, '95, and '96 are the greatest shows ever, even in the activity. Can the Madison Scouts remain all male and be successful? Of course they can! The Cavaliers are doing just fine. What's the difference? The Cavaliers have evolved with the activity with great show design, great themes, and instructors and design teams that were consistently looking for something new. The reality is that the Scouts are stuck in time and have gotten in such a rut that it's going to take quite a bit to get them out. The talent that folks say the corps needs to climb the ranks will return once those at the top get in touch with reality. 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but......not even close to challenging for a world title in the 70s and 80s? Did I read that correctly?

7 minutes ago, madalumni said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but......not even close to challenging for a world title in the 70s and 80s? Did I read that correctly?

Most of the time, yes; they won it all in '75 and '88. They were on fire in '88; however, I still think that SCV should have won that year with '89 belonging to Regiment. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Most of the time, yes; they won it all in '75 and '88. They were on fire in '88; however, I still think that SCV should have won that year with '89 belonging to Regiment. 

But most of the time in both those decades they were in the top 6. Plus, they were’nt far out of the hunt a couple other times, like 74,76,81...even in 85 - when they finished 4th, point wise, they weren’t far back.

Edited by Nine White Russians
Mis spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

What I would love to see is an advisory group to help Madison steer a new course. We see Spirit rebuilding, Blue Stars re-emerged, Crossmen almost went under years ago

yee... I would be careful to compare Madison to other corps that went div II/III and then came back -- completely different scenario -- 

Madison's problem is that they were not content being a 8th to 10th place corps, so they tried to emulate the Bluecoats/Cavaliers (Bloovaliers? Cavilcoats?) it was a complete miss and they totally alienated their base by erasing all references to the corps' history.

If Madison were out there on the field doing this year's show in their normal uni and had their soloists in an ATTRACTIVE costume, they would be beating Blue Stars and Phantom right now.

It's really not that difficult people.

reaction.gif

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

And what exactly have you accomplished? What makes you such an expert on how the judges scored the corps at '88 and '89 finals?