Madison Scouts 2018

I truly am concerned about the ability of the Scouts to survive this & continue. Aren't they ranked 16 or 17 now?

• Like 1

Honestly, Madison should toss the existing uniforms in the trash & blow the dust of of the janitor suits, AKA superman suits. I know, I know, I'm a dino, but the youngsters are laughing at this current costume as well as us old timers. If nothing else, doing this would certainly generate fan buzz, and would definitely help recruiting for next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Honestly, Madison should toss the existing uniforms in the trash & blow the dust of of the janitor suits, AKA superman suits. I know, I know, I'm a dino, but the youngsters are laughing at this current costume as well as us old timers. If nothing else, doing this would certainly generate fan buzz, and would definitely help recruiting for next year.

Agreed. They still have the 2016 uniforms, those were close enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Yup. Any variation or version of the superman suit would actually be innovative in an activity that is over-saturated with sequined, Las Vegas show girl, ballet costumes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Scouts are in a predicament.  They are trying to please both the judges and the fans of their traditional style.  Right now no one is happy.  Going back to their 80's and 90's era uniform isn't enough.  Doing that alone would be like putting lipstick on a pig.  It would look nice but it would still be a pig.  They absolutely have to make changes in the design team and corps management.  The loss of this corps would be devastating to their fans and to  DCI itself.  

Edited by bluesman
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

The Scouts are in a predicament.  They are trying to please both the judges and the fans of their traditional style.  Right now no one is happy.  They absolutely have to make changes in the design team and corps management.  The loss of this corps would be devastating to their fans and to  DCI itself.  

Yes. It was bad enough losing 27th Lancers, Kilts, Muchachos, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, Guardsmen, Freelancers, & about 300 other corps...but losing the Madison Freaking Scouts...one of the oldest and most storied corps in this activity would be devastating.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Only problem with that is they have I'm guessing entirely new members that didn't march back then. There would be a lot of alterations and refitting. Better to buy entirely new ones. I'd still be in favor of that exact look though.....we'll, maybe the jacket could have about 2 shades darker of the green to make it that classic forest green!

• Like 1

FWIW, the show started looking decent to me last night. They are using the soloist more effectively. And I heard a few big moments from the horns I hadn’t experienced in previous viewings. There is definitely the talent and quality for a Madison sound in that group on the field. Forgetting that it’s Madison, the costumes are effective - and in my view better than a number of other WC corps. 

Two problems for me: (1) Everyone else is improving now, too, so the scoring is tough to look at. (2) And I keep having to qualify comments with things like “forgetting that it’s Madison.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

FWIW, the show started looking decent to me last night. They are using the soloist more effectively. And I heard a few big moments from the horns I hadn’t experienced in previous viewings. There is definitely the talent and quality for a Madison sound in that group on the field. Forgetting that it’s Madison, the costumes are effective - and in my view better than a number of other WC corps. 

Two problems for me: (1) Everyone else is improving now, too, so the scoring is tough to look at. (2) And I keep having to qualify comments with things like “forgetting that it’s Madison.”

Forgetting that's its Madison isn't a good thing. The Madison Scout brand has taken a beating and is on life support, if not already dead.

• Like 2