Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Having watched a few a few videos and talking with folks I marched with who have seen them in person, if they don't drastically improve their guard - they will be on the outside looking in on finals night.   

The talent level is not where it needs to be.  Coupled with awkward work and bad design, well....   it makes for a hard product.

They can fix this - if the powers that be ACTUALLY listen AND (very importantly) staff are willing to stick it out.  It's a hard place to offer feedback.

Although it’s still to early to be sure, after watching the the video a few times I don’t think I’d agree that the talent isn’t there in the guard. They won’t be on Boston’s tail but if/when they clean up, and fix the things that all corps do through out the summer, I believe they’re a stronger guard than last year and based off the other videos I’ve watched definitely top 12. I haven’t seen mandarins yet but the book has more meat and maturity than others in the 10-12 range. Looking at the numbers supports this. Keeping in mind different shows and judges. Madison’s Guard pulls a 12.8. two other corps in their neighborhood who were overall up by a couple points over the scouts had 12.6’s in Guard. And from the videos are unarguably cleaner right now. 

There are a couple sections in the show where you can see where they’ve cleaned. And if they stay that course I don’t think the guard will be the issue. Not a Madison “homer” although I do like the potential for the show this year. Just 25 years of Guard talking... for much to long it looks like. Lol

• Like 1

The Madison Scouts were days away from folding very, very recently. Anyone who is backing this admin, you need to take a long, hard look at the books. The Madison Scouts were a whisker’s length away from completely shutting down. For good. This corps has been run into the ground by CK and DP. It’s bad. Much worse than anyone on here knows.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

The Madison Scouts were days away from folding very, very recently. Anyone who is backing this admin, you need to take a long, hard look at the books. The Madison Scouts are a whisker’s length away from completely shutting down. For good. This corps has been run into the ground by CK and DP. It’s bad. Much worse than anyone on here knows.

Keep in mind this has been done under the supervision and with the approval of the board, who is ultimately responsible. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
Corrected grammar.
  • Like 1

As an alum, I’d have serious reservations about letting my own kid be a part of this organization under the current admin. And that is coming from someone who idolized the Scouts before becoming a member, myself. People can point fingers at former admins going all the way back to Scott Stewart all that they want, but I know that Scott always ran this corps in the black. The current admin seems to consider operating in the red to be financially solvent. I’d like to see the current books because maybe that’s changed. I doubt it, but maybe someone performed a miracle.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Watched show on youtube. Costume looks better from far back but still wish for something that looks more identifiable as the Scouts.

Some cool drill moments and some cool music moments...but I don't understand what it's all supposed to mean. Female soloist was great but what is her role for the theme? Maybe it was just too far to see everything but I have no idea. 

Big prop but why way to the left? And why doesn't it get used often for drill and horn or drum staging. Seems Scouts always have some prop but it gets shoved to the side. It's like it's there as a requirement they don't want to use.

Anyway. Not a fan of what I saw. Show does nothing for me. No WOW moments. Nothing that really just grabs hold. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, swmstom said:

Watched show on youtube. Costume looks better from far back but still wish for something that looks more identifiable as the Scouts.

Some cool drill moments and some cool music moments...but I don't understand what it's all supposed to mean. Female soloist was great but what is her role for the theme? Maybe it was just too far to see everything but I have no idea. 

Big prop but why way to the left? And why doesn't it get used often for drill and horn or drum staging. Seems Scouts always have some prop but it gets shoved to the side. It's like it's there as a requirement they don't want to use.

Anyway. Not a fan of what I saw. Show does nothing for me. No WOW moments. Nothing that really just grabs hold. 

Agree with this list of observations. 

I would add that the addition of reverb to the featured soloist's moments is quite a distraction for me. If her sound & technique is so highly valued to earn such a dubious feature [in an all male corps as well] then I would prefer to let that talent be presented not obscured by a sound design [not a slam on electronics per se, mind you]. Let the purity of brass playing to at least have a chance to be heard unaltered.

I have also noticed with other performances this summer that brass soloist intonation when accompanied solely by front ensemble is needing adjustment [tour premier for one]. 

Hopeful to enjoy improved performances next live viewing in STL-though not a fan of domes..........

12 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

Since the Scouts are changing and adapting to the requirements of the current DCI, they might as well fully admit girls and reemerge next season under a new name. Retire the Madison Scouts to history since the corps really belongs to a different era of drum and bugle corps, which sadly no longer exists.

Totally agree with this. They had a great run as the Scouts, but times and circumstances changed that made the all-male thing more of a burden than a feature for them. Since there are other approaches to programming they can take with a different membership base, so go ahead and evolve into something genuinely new rather than trying to sneak it past themselves. 

Edited by Slingerland

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Since there are other approaches to programming they can take with a different membership base, so go ahead and evolve into something genuinely new rather than trying to sneak it past themselves. 

What programming approach[es] do you feel have been out of consideration with current & past membership bases?