Phantom Regiment 2018

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I am sure their Pit arranger had a huge play in this too, I just can't remember the name at the moment.

That would be Jim Ancona.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

That would be Jim Ancona.

yes. Cadets alum from Ridgefield, CT way, U Mass grad. and now at U. Del. band leadership with Heidi. Very, very talented and all around good guy. My memory is slipping.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:27 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

One more song suggestion I have for for Phantom, if they can get the rights to it (the composer's estate has not allowed his music to be arranged for the marching arts, although the rise of Tresona may change this): "O Magnum Mysterium" by Morten Lauridsen.

Morten Lauridsen is a prof at USC , and I am sure would be amused at the idea that his "estate" is making decisions rather than his own preference of how his works are used.

20 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

Morten Lauridsen is a prof at USC , and I am sure would be amused at the idea that his "estate" is making decisions rather than his own preference of how his works are used.

Oops.

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

It's almost as if you'd be handing over the percussion to the front ensemble, mallet magicians with their many symphonic toys and textures.  

Let's see, 80 brass, 50 guard, and 20 FE.   Now wouldn't that be very interesting to watch and listen too.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Let's see, 80 brass, 50 guard, and 20 FE.   Now wouldn't that be very interesting to watch and listen too.

I've seen high school bands (including very good ones that compete in BOA) that don't use a drumline at all. They only use a pit, which often includes a drum set to take the place of the drumline. It would be nice for some of the smaller corps that don't get very high numbers, but given how cutthroat drumline auditions are every year at every level of drum corps, I don't expect this type of instrumentation to be popular in the activity anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I've seen high school bands (including very good ones that compete in BOA) that don't use a drumline at all. They only use a pit, which often includes a drum set to take the place of the drumline. It would be nice for some of the smaller corps that don't get very high numbers, but given how cutthroat drumline auditions are every year at every level of drum corps, I don't expect this type of instrumentation to be popular in the activity anytime soon.

I agree with you particularly since the current sheets don't flow that way and Yamaha probably woundn't be happy selling only one drum set, nor Tama, nor Remo, nor Vic Firth, etc., etc. You know how the mfgrs. move the contemporary drum corps activity (maybe even more than the actual corps.)

6 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

I agree with you particularly since the current sheets don't flow that way and Yamaha probably woundn't be happy selling only one drum set, nor Tama, nor Remo, nor Vic Firth, etc., etc. You know how the mfgrs. move the contemporary drum corps activity (maybe even more than the actual corps.)

Somewhere around 1985 - 1987 I think the Geneseo Knights placed just a solitary drum set player on a stage out on the field.

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Somewhere around 1985 - 1987 I think the Geneseo Knights placed just a solitary drum set player on a stage out on the field.

ask Dan Potter, he DMd there and is up on their history.