Phantom Regiment 2018

On 8/20/2017 at 8:04 PM, Slingerland said:

Source music means next to nothing. It's what the arrangers do with it that makes it work or not work, and increasingly, the less literally it's used, the more effective it is. FWIW, I'd argue that Crown's biggest failing this year was being too literal with the number from Wicked:  it came off as dull in comparison to the rest of their show.

Regiment's competitive problems now are about failure of imagination, more than anything. That, and an inability to take criticism and do anything with it (I can't believe they didn't get the memo that the program this past year made no sense, and the strip club voiceovers only made it worse).

Amen. 

On 8/27/2017 at 1:45 PM, ShortAndFast said:

Morten Lauridsen is a prof at USC , and I am sure would be amused at the idea that his "estate" is making decisions rather than his own preference of how his works are used.

How a work is used, sold, and arranged depends on who actually 'owns the Copyright'.  Most times The Publisher owns the Copyright, not the Composer nor the Estate.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:04 PM, Slingerland said:

Source music means next to nothing. It's what the arrangers do with it that makes it work or not work, the less literally it's used, the more effective it is.

True in than arrangements must be creative.  But it is the cut, paste, honk, splat, fast-run, chord, next tune cut, paste,honk, splat, fast-run, chord, next tune.... arranging that is dictated by the visual elements which seem to get the best GE results in modern drum corps arranging.  And I find that awfully disturbing and disrespectful to the music.

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

True in than arrangements must be creative.  But it is the cut, paste, honk, splat, fast-run, chord, next tune cut, paste,honk, splat, fast-run, chord, next tune.... arranging that is dictated by the visual elements which seem to get the best GE results in modern drum corps arranging.  And I find that awfully disturbing and disrespectful to the music.

You see it as disrespect, I see it as creativity. It's what makes drum corps stand out from sitting down in a concert hall and listening to a symphony

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You see it as disrespect, I see it as creativity.

THIS is Respectful Creative Music Arranging!!!!  While I am not saying this is for DCI, I will say it is way more respectful and creative than most 'modern' DCI sounds I have heard.

Edited by Stu

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

It's what makes drum corps stand out from sitting down in a concert hall and listening to a symphony

I have no concert hall expectation, but I do expect music arranging to have enough room to blossom melodically with cohesive and comprehensive phrasing. Most, not all, but most modern DCI sound structure is 'completely' dictated by visual motion which causes skippy phrasing of little melodic development along with chord, run, chord impact, next chart A.D.D. type quick change.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

A.D.D. type quick change.

You are the biggest offender of this phrase. No better than using "ret*rded" as an adjective 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1