Phantom Regiment 2018

On 2/17/2018 at 6:56 PM, GUARDLING said:

quality is quality with or without males. There were years  with the males it wasn't a top guard and having males might have been part of the reason they went all female to begin with. especially that last year of co-ed

Wasn't that the "Into the Light" year ?  I thought the guard was pretty good that year - why would you think the males made it worse (honest question - I have no idea)

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guardguy89 said:

Wasn't that the "Into the Light" year ?  I thought the guard was pretty good that year - why would you think the males made it worse (honest question - I have no idea)

Mike

Guard was ok. I believe the year was 2009...Im not going to talk about inside issues of PR but let's just say whatever the issue was which added to decision didn't have a lot to do with talent.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

At the moment, the only corps I can think of that Phantom could realistically pass is the Cadets, who have also been on a downward trajectory as of late. This can only happen if Phantom puts out a clearly superior show design from the get-go that improves throughout the season.

Positions 6-15 tend to be more changeable than 1-5, year over year.  If Phantom comes out of the gate revitalized and ready, there is no telling how high they can climb.  

Hello all, just a new member here on the forums and I look forward to talking drum corps with everyone.

DCI may have unintentionally provided a clue to their 2018 show title and/or music selection if you look carefully at the feature photo on this article : https://www.dci.org/news/phantom-regiment-plugging-away-at-powerful-2018-production

Might have to hit zoom on your browser to make out the title, but when you see it...:)

I know there's no official word yet so I didn't want this to be considered a rumor on the 2018 Programs thread, but I'm hyped for the upcoming season! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Hello all, just a new member here on the forums and I look forward to talking drum corps with everyone.

DCI may have unintentionally provided a clue to their 2018 show title and/or music selection if you look carefully at the feature photo on this article : https://www.dci.org/news/phantom-regiment-plugging-away-at-powerful-2018-production

Might have to hit zoom on your browser to make out the title, but when you see it...:)

I know there's no official word yet so I didn't want this to be considered a rumor on the 2018 Programs thread, but I'm hyped for the upcoming season! 

Surely not.  

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Ten years ago this year, wouldn’t be surprised if it was an encore piece.   I could hardly believe they would already revisit that......

Not outside the realm of possibility! As we know they performed their Rhapsody show in '05, and revisited the American in Paris music/theme with their City of Light show in '15. It's all speculation at this point, but after further research it does appear they will be performing Spartacus as part of their Show of Shows homecoming event and potentially as an encore piece throughout the season: http://regiment.org/2018-show-of-shows-homecoming/

"Alumni Performance | Friday, 7/6
Alumni are encouraged to participate in a performance featuring a medley from the 2008 Championship Program “Spartacus”, as well as a special playing of “Amazing Grace” as a tribute to Dr. Dan, who passed away in January."

With the move back to a coed guard this season and new program staff, still excited to see what direction they take the corps for 2018.

• Like 1

I have no idea what their show is going to be this year, but I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. Back when I was in the corps (in the early Jurassic), we would sometimes pull out older charts (from the late Triassic, for example) to play in brass sectionals. Swan Lake from ‘87 cracked us up because Jim Wren wrote “con scrot” on part of the baritone score. (Someone earned a nickname from it, actually.) 

Also, as you already mentioned, they’ll be playing it at the home show and possibly as an encore piece as well. 

Still, I think it’s a lot of fun pulling out details like this. I think something similar was posted last year or recently and I responded with the same story. (I’m turning into the uncle that tells the same year after year at Thanksgiving dinner...)

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wish I could make the home show this year— I’d love to be part of playing Amazing Grace for Dr. Dan. (We played it at retreat during my rookie season with the corps ‘92.)