Phantom Regiment 2018

16 hours ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Hello all, just a new member here on the forums and I look forward to talking drum corps with everyone.

DCI may have unintentionally provided a clue to their 2018 show title and/or music selection if you look carefully at the feature photo on this article : https://www.dci.org/news/phantom-regiment-plugging-away-at-powerful-2018-production

Might have to hit zoom on your browser to make out the title, but when you see it...:)

I know there's no official word yet so I didn't want this to be considered a rumor on the 2018 Programs thread, but I'm hyped for the upcoming season! 

I picture that piece of music as more of an encore tune... I'm sure there will be both new and old music in the show though... The world will find out soon enough, and I'm sure there will be babies thrown at the field for this show this season! I'll be interested for sure!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 1:18 PM, year1buick said:

I have no idea what their show is going to be this year, but I wouldn’t put too much stock into it. Back when I was in the corps (in the early Jurassic), we would sometimes pull out older charts (from the late Triassic, for example) to play in brass sectionals. Swan Lake from ‘87 cracked us up because Jim Wren wrote “con scrot” on part of the baritone score. (Someone earned a nickname from it, actually.) 

Also, as you already mentioned, they’ll be playing it at the home show and possibly as an encore piece as well. 

Still, I think it’s a lot of fun pulling out details like this. I think something similar was posted last year or recently and I responded with the same story. (I’m turning into the uncle that tells the same year after year at Thanksgiving dinner...)

That is an entertaining story! I'm digging the dinosaur references there. Gotta keep busy during the off-season somehow, prior to the show announcements and tour!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 4:50 AM, jjeffeory said:

I picture that piece of music as more of an encore tune... I'm sure there will be both new and old music in the show though... The world will find out soon enough, and I'm sure there will be babies thrown at the field for this show this season! I'll be interested for sure!

If I had a baby, I would've thrown it on the field last season for them!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 12:42 PM, ashevillemurphy said:

Hard to imagine they would do it a fourth time - with all of the potential available from the classical oeuvre that they have not used before...

I agree but it has been ten years, the 2008 version is by far their most celebrated show and the arranger is Will Pitts, Phantom’s drum major in 2008. Add to that the color guard will be coed this year. I think they could revisit “Spartacus” musically, but they’d be in trouble if they recreated the theme and show of 2008.

I asked someone about this rumor who is marching this season and he said that it’s going to be used in concerts they do on tour and not in the actual show. That should be interesting

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, Tim K said:

I agree but it has been ten years, the 2008 version is by far their most celebrated show and the arranger is Will Pitts, Phantom’s drum major in 2008. Add to that the color guard will be coed this year. I think they could revisit “Spartacus” musically, but they’d be in trouble if they recreated the theme and show of 2008.

I don't know.. doing " Spartacus " again would be akin to going to the well too often. I hope they do something else for a theme for 2018.