Phantom Regiment 2018

On 6/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, EricS said:

11Intonation leaves a lot to be desired

I think my brothers and sisters of 2018 Phantom Regiment will do us proud!!!! Focus and believe in yourselves. That’s what we did.

I don’t get it. Fans are saying the Regiment should modernize and when they do they criticize! Darned if you do darned if you don’t. REALLY?  Do what is true to you and your fans will understand and support you. It’s inside of you...unleash it! S.U.T.A!!!

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I think my brothers and sisters of 2018 Phantom Regiment will do us proud!!!! Focus and believe in yourselves. That’s what we did.

I don’t get it. Fans are saying the Regiment should modernize and when they do they criticize! Darned if you do darned if you don’t. REALLY?  Do what is true to you and your fans will understand and support you. It’s inside of you...unleash it! S.U.T.A!!!

They will be fine.  Just gotta wait til we see it on the field.  It's funny those that know least spout most.  Makes for funny reading.  Go Regiment!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Have they modernized this year? I haven't seen or heard a bleep of this years show, but I don't think they modernized last year (or before). I DO think they need to modernize. Corps that have adapted to and embraced modernization have done very well (Crown, SCV, Bluecoats) and those that fought it (Madison and Phantom) have drastically suffered. Those are just a few examples to illustrate my point. 

My concern is with the design staff. Since 2013, their visual designs have really suffered and last year the musical design really suffered, IMO. I hope they cut the size of the guard as well. It was really combersome last year to have such a huge guard, IMO. I hope last year was the anomaly (as it was literally the only show I have not liked since I first saw Regiment in '84) and that they do modernize this year, and give us something new and different. Although I am a huge fan of classic uniforms, and I do love their uniforms this year, I'm not sure it wasn't a mistake already to go in that direction. Bluecoats changed the way corps are costumed in 2016, and that is the direction the activity is going, so how do traditional uniforms play into modernizing?

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

. Corps that have adapted to and embraced modernization have done very well (Crown, SCV, Bluecoats) and those that fought it (Madison and Phantom) have drastically suffered. Those are just a few examples to illustrate my point. 

I don't believe a connection can be made.  Madison had a completely "non Madison " type show last season. A " modern " look and vibe from them. Phantom changed from a coed Guard, to a single gender Guard, a few years back too. But neither Corps got placement improvements with such modernization changes. The last time the Cadets won a regional was in their traditional Cadet Styled uniforms. The first part of the Blue Devils show last summer was a decidedly retro show,   and their headgear was traditional in nature.They won DCI last season. Bluecoats went " modern" in both style/ attire with both success and non success ( from 5th to 1st,  then back to 5th ) Same with Boston.  Boston has moved both up and down in " modernization " the last 3 seasons.. Troopers went " modern " in music. style. attire, colors, etc, but and I'm not so sure we can say that " modern " adaptation has been a proven success for them either.. Troopers were a huge audience hit just a few years ago.  Going " modern " won't move the the dial in my view. Staying more " traditional " won't help, nor hurt either, imo. It really all comes down to proper instruction. MM and Staff talent, and creative and coherent, well integrated Show Design. Academy came out of obscurity to top 12 finish with a traditional type of show, music, attire. Oregon Crusaders went to more modernization in both music, instumentation, attire, and suffered placement slide. Jersey Surf were a huge crowd favorite with a retro show, but since moving to " modernization " have not moved placement wise at all, and have never regained that level of audience approval since either. For these brief examples cited alone, there seems to be little to no connection to " modernization " and improved placement success, imo. Will becoming more " modern " in style, attire, instrumentation useage, Guard membership structure, etc for Phantom Regiment this season improve Phantom Regiment's scores , placements, and overall audience approvals  ? Well, only time will really tell us this, I suppose.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Get a grip.  All I said was they are playing terribly out of tune.  Sitting down and standing in place even.  And they were playing Amazing Grace.  Not a hard piece to learn.  Obviously it is a young corps but playing in tune is fairly fundamental.

Edited by EricS

38 minutes ago, EricS said:

Get a grip.  All I said was they are playing terribly out of tune.  Sitting down and standing in place even.  And they were playing Amazing Grace.  Not a hard piece to learn.  Obviously it is a young corps but playing in tune is fairly fundamental.

I agree. And wasn’t just Amazing Grace. It’s also when they played Elsa’s as well the same night.

Found a fairly recent recording online (posted in the last 5 minutes, actually), though I probably shouldn't say where unless I want to get banned by mods. You can search for yourself lol

To me it looks far better than the comments here seemed to indicate. I like the new direction!

Edited by Dcbae!23
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dcbae!23 said:

Found a fairly recent recording online (posted in the last 5 minutes, actually), though I probably shouldn't say where unless I want to get banned by mods. You can search for yourself lol

To me it looks far better than the comments here seemed to indicate. I like the new direction!

I personally like the music. Everything just needs to be tightened, and it will be. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dcbae!23 said:

I saw most of their show that has been completed on Facebook..all I can say at this point...that was something...

Edited by Liahona

2 hours ago, EricS said:

Whatever......I’m sure they will get their intonation cared for.