Phantom Regiment 2018

Well it looks like they have almost the whole show on the field, because I just watched a video of it. I am actually quite impressed. Guard was a mess, but that's to be expected this early. I'm not quite sure what they are ultimately going to do with the props, but I am glad they have them. They did move them around the field during the show. Right now they seem to be just skeltons. Not sure if anything is going to be added to them. Visual design is miles ahead of where it's been, IMO. Guard seems smaller than last year, thank God. I think this show has a lot of promise (I certainly didn't feel that way last year). I think design has been their Achilles' heel in the recent past. I don't feel this way this year. So potential for good competitive results from them this year, IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Much better than last year. 

My only gripe is that the music book is too percussion heavy. FE seems to carry a lot of the melody and then the brass does a run into a sustained chord. More brass please!

I think that's today's drum corps. I REALLY wish they had taken the next step with the uniform. Traditional uniforms are on the way out. I think we are going to see a lot more Bluecoats 16-17/SCV 17 uniforms this year. Will be interesting to see Regiment on the field and in the unis, but this show is so much better than last years. SO much better.

• Like 3

Having just watched the clip posted, thanks MommaDCI!,  I am truly optimistic for the 2018 Phantom Regiment. Love this music book! It will develop based on input over the season but it is currently more solid than last year at this time. That last revisit to Going Home??? Needs a more intense fugue....aka the Ostinato in 2003.

thoughts?

Edited by Sutasaurus

55 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Having just watched the clip posted, thanks MommaDCI!,  I am truly optimistic for the 2018 Phantom Regiment. Love this music book! It will develop based on input over the season but it is currently more solid than last year at this time. That last revisit to Going Home??? Needs a more intense fugue....aka the Ostinato in 2003.

thoughts?

One complaint from a musical perspective that I had last year was that the ending really fell flat. I expected a revision that never came (maybe because they knew they wouldn't move up?). I'm sure all kinds of revisions to the music will occur (especially transitions), and I'm hoping the ending is big.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Much better than last year. 

My only gripe is that the music book is too percussion heavy. FE seems to carry a lot of the melody and then the brass does a run into a sustained chord. More brass please!

Modern drumcorps arranging...

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

One complaint from a musical perspective that I had last year was that the ending really fell flat. I expected a revision that never came (maybe because they knew they wouldn't move up?). I'm sure all kinds of revisions to the music will occur (especially transitions), and I'm hoping the ending is big.

To me, Regiment seems to always have to continually work on their final minute or so. I'm not worried. I thought the show was meh after watching the concert standstill. After seeing the video my opinion of it has totally changed. Great vehicle. They should have a good season.

So, just watched the Music in the Park vid, and it actually made me happy!. This is the first time I have felt enthusiasm for Phantom's music and arrangements in many a year. I was really surprised and pleased by the deconstructive liberties they took with New World Symphony. Dvorak based the symphony on American folk music and spirituals, and Phantom's arrangements seem to draw from these roots more than from the actual symphony. 

In fact, listening to the music made me think that the show theme, "The New World," signals a new stylistic direction for PR, just like Ouroborous was for SCV.  They may be ready to abandon playing classical for classical's sake, and bring us something new and challenging. Come on, PR, make me a Phan again!

• Like 5