Phantom Regiment 2018

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We finished our main semester back in May, but we're being forced to take a 6 week Gen Path course against our will lol

OMG, Gen Path was the bane of my existence! (We didn’t have it until 2nd year, though.) Try to enjoy some of your summer, I hope you get to see some drum corps!

Edited by year1buick

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We finished our main semester back in May, but we're being forced to take a 6 week Gen Path course against our will lol

Tied to the chair, huge klieg lights in your eyes, all sorts of apparatus stuck in your mouth,  painful needles, now you know how the patient feels.  Sounds like a great sensitivity training to bedside manner.:whistle:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Okay cool.

Regarding Phantom Regiment, I'm wondering about design philosophy. Does an arranger say "I know I have X number coming back, or individual Y coming back, so I will write to reflect that"? Or does a designer write what fits regardless and just assume the section can play it (then edit later if necessary)?

I'm thinking about this in the context of Regiment's tenor feature. Percussion has not been a strong section for the corps lately, so it seems a bit risky to put a bunch of folks on an instrument that may not be natural to them in the first place. Also, a couple folks commented on how dirty that feature was in some early videos (though it's early and the video wasn't great).

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I really wish I could keep closer track of Phantom this year. With a final exam this friday and then studying for my Part 1 Board exams right after, staying on top of DCI is gonna be tough this summer

Happy to hear all the great impressions of phantom though, they look fantastic in pictures, hopefully I can see a runthrough soon!

Hopefully you will get to see some kind of drill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guard uniforms -  BIG mistake. They literally disappear on the field. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricS said:

Guard uniforms -  BIG mistake. They literally disappear on the field. 

I thought the opposite.  I thought the color was striking and elegant. At least from my view in the stadium I thought they were gorgeous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ms.L said:

I thought the opposite.  I thought the color was striking and elegant. At least from my view in the stadium I thought they were gorgeous.

then you need to look at it on video

• Haha 1

Looking at the uniform reveal pictures, they had on a black helmet.

Last night the Drum Major had on a black helmet.

Last night during the broadcast Will Pitts said something to effect of "not having the helmet, just for the helmet's sake".

Does anyone know if they had intended to use the black helmet,then dropped it or if they didn't intend to use it all along ?