Phantom Regiment 2018

Does anyone beside me read the scores each day, hoping things will turn around, year-after-year, only to have a deflated, sick feeling, knowing that Regiment may soon be out of contention for even the top 12? I’m trying to allow myself to let go and not care as much; after all, it is, when everything is said and done, marching band, and I’m 50 years old. Why does it bother me so much?

posted from the DrumScorps app

20 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Does anyone beside me read the scores each day, hoping things will turn around, year-after-year, only to have a deflated, sick feeling, knowing that Regiment may soon be out of contention for even the top 12? I’m trying to allow myself to let go and not care as much; after all, it is, when everything is said and done, marching band, and I’m 50 years old. Why does it bother me so much?

I feel the same way about the Scouts... I think it's okay to feel this way, though, as our expectations are grounded in the past.  As crappy as it is, as long as our organizations improve year after year, that's the important thing... Phantom can't control the successes of the people around them, only themselves.  They hit all cylinders in 2008; they'll do it again.  

That's my take, anyway.  :-) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

I hear you. I'll give you my theory, which I've shared on here before: Phantom Regiment is a sixth place corps that can occasionally rise above this when the staff is lights out and fall below this mark when the staff is subpar. I may need to update this median based on the relatively recent rise of Bluecoats, but in any case, I don't feel this is a group that's in danger of being out of contention for top 12. Unless the bottom falls out this season (which I don't see happening with this design), I think they'll be in 8th again. That's probably not where they or their fans want them to be, but I don't see 13th in their future any time soon.

Speaking of 8th... how competitive is DCI when a corps with a (however flawed) design this good is clearly in 8th (possibly 9th) place? It's really remarkable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I feel the same way about the Scouts... I think it's okay to feel this way, though, as our expectations are grounded in the past.  As crappy as it is, as long as our organizations improve year after year, that's the important thing... Phantom can't control the successes of the people around them, only themselves.  They hit all cylinders in 2008; they'll do it again.  

That's my take, anyway.  :-) 

At least we don’t see angry alumni in the Phantom thread constantly calling for heads to roll and their former glory to return ASAP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

At least we don’t see angry alumni in the Phantom thread constantly calling for heads to roll and their former glory to return ASAP.

I mean, they call for heads to roll, but they mostly mean as part of the shows.

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Amen to that. The design this year is of a higher quality than the past few years and I think that’s quieted down some people. Or they’ve just given up. Who knows 

• Like 3

Give the team time to grow.  They have evolved (especially Will Pitts) over the last couple of years to put together better shows.  You have to let the team learn to work with one another and before time design will be like clockwork.  I feel positive about the steps Regiment is taking.  Maybe a few staff pieces are missing, but once they get someone who can really add and mesh their ideas with the team, look out!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Give the team time to grow.  They have evolved (especially Will Pitts) over the last couple of years to put together better shows.  You have to let the team learn to work with one another and before time design will be like clockwork.  I feel positive about the steps Regiment is taking.  Maybe a few staff pieces are missing, but once they get someone who can really add and mesh their ideas with the team, look out!  

+1

We’re in week 2 of the season.. if anything, the Regiment has a history of pouring it on in the home stretch. With an improved design this year, it may help them move up a spot. It is possible.

Edited by Sutasaurus

I think this show is an improvement, for sure. but I don't understand the point of the props. CAn anyone explain, please?