Phantom Regiment 2018

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvJLY3MxKuc

I don’t know how many of you have seen this, but this is the corps we have been dreaming of for 5 years!!! From 13:00 on it is some of the best I have seen from Regiment since Turandot. I am so excited, I just can’t hide it.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

I don’t know how many of you have seen this, but this is the corps we have been dreaming of for 5 years!!! From 13:00 on it is some of the best I have seen from Regiment since Turandot. I am so excited, I just can’t hide it.

Absolutely agree, the show has come such a far way. The brass has much better dynamic contrast, and the sound overall is beefier. That moving wedge block is going to look gorgeous with the uniforms on

• Like 1

Encouraging progress with the show AND caption scoring!  Way to go, Regiment!  6th in GE Music and overall GE last night and while in 8th in Music, only 0.5 out of 6th there too.  Keep pushing!  Can’t wait to see Regiment live tonight here in San Antonio.

Edited by TexasPRfan

Much Improved! Way to go, Regiment! Greater dynamic range, louder in parts, has some moments coming through. Excellent.

Keep going! SUTA!

• Like 2

I've waited till tonight to really give the corps a chance:  I'll begin by saying I appreciate the group for what they're try to achieve; however, for me the brass writing sounds very much like a high school band, which if I'm not mistaken, it actually is?! If you've seen Hebron HS Band 2013 (I think) this show is a pretty obvious duplicate of material Pitts arranged for them?!? Now, I realize Will Pitts is a Phanmily favorite; however, I just don't think he's the quality this corps needs. (no insult intended, he IS talented). But the talent they really need in their writing, well...they let the talent slip away -- and SCV is LOVING it. But tonight's 12th place Music Analysis was kind. IMO.

I can tell there's progress happening, but this corps from top to bottom is suffering because of staff & designers. Relying WAY too heavily on electronic "distractions" and props to try and bluff their way through insufficient captions. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if Mandarins overtook this group before Finals. I don't think this is the year Phantom falls out of Finals, but folks this is getting too close for comfort.

As for the kids on the field -- y'all are kicking butt -- keep working hard -- you are champions regardless of the design you're given. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On July 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM, PRomoter said:

This what I dream of.  They definitely wouldn't be ranked down at 10th performing in this style:

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

For what it's worth, Phantom Regiment hasn't placed 10th at a show since finals in 1986 (as far as I can tell). 

That offseason saw Michael Cesario joining the corps as program coordinator. 

Maybe it's time to bring him and a few others back.  Until PR gets back to their true identity, we will have to settle for just ordinary.

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

This what I dream of.  They definitely wouldn't be ranked down at 10th performing in this style:

Wouldn't it be nice to see/hear drum corps again without all the crap all over the field and no choreography ect. Last night it seemed like the music was just filler or backdrop for all the shenanigans going on the field.  There's less playing and less marching and I am sick of all the running around on the field.   

WGI needs to go back to the gym and stay off the football field. 

I am all for advancement of the activity but I think those that have influenced drum corps in the direction of stage production have messed up.  I'd love to see and hear modern music and drill. I have quickly lost interest in it and not sure I will bother watching next year.

• Like 2