Phantom Regiment 2018

1 hour ago, tim_brandt said:

The WOW moments I am referring to are in terms of show design. In my opinion, this year's show has none that I can see.

Modern, old school or whatever, it is my opinion that a drum corps show does not work without WOW moments.

I don't see any in this year's show, personally. I think the addition of some and embellishing some of the impact arrivals would have helped salvage it, to some degree. 

Not sure if I am making sense, but it makes sense to me. 

All creative works, especially entertainment, require wow moments. Movies, concerts, comedy, doesn’t matter. 

This is what Bluecoats’ team not only understands but designs for. They see the parts and the whole at the same time. There is a great interview with two of the BC design leaders on YouTube that tries to explain “truth” in design. When you have truth, it requires no explanation.

The essence of the Blue Devils’ design philosophy is all about discovering the thread of truth in the idea and then working off of that. You bring the audience along from one milestone to the next. 

This is why I think Frameworks is so amazing. They take an esoteric concept and tell you the story from beginning to end. The wow moments are there to inforce your understanding of the story.

When you stand in front of the Grand Canyon, no one needs to explain anything for you to get it.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

All creative works, especially entertainment, require wow moments. Movies, concerts, comedy, doesn’t matter. 

This is what Bluecoats’ team not only understands but designs for. They see the parts and the whole at the same time. There is a great interview with two of the BC design leaders on YouTube that tries to explain “truth” in design. When you have truth, it requires no explanation.

The essence of the Blue Devils’ design philosophy is all about discovering the thread of truth in the idea and then working off of that. You bring the audience along from one milestone to the next. 

This is why I think Frameworks is so amazing. They take an esoteric concept and tell you the story from beginning to end. The wow moments are there to inforce your understanding of the story.

When you stand in front of the Grand Canyon, no one needs to explain anything for you to get it.

Well said. :91_thumbsup:

1 hour ago, jdpr said:

Well myself and my son noticed the overamping of individuals killed the dynamic diversity. It is harder to have the wow moments musically without dynamic contrast. I think the trombones down from were meant as a wow moment and maybe would have been so if we had a nice soft delicate moment beforehand. I also agree with the comments about the show not working well together visually and musically so that is a major handicap and yes the percussion score has to compliment but I haven't really looked at the show to evaluate that nor would be qualified to really as I'm a brass guy.

For me, I love the trombone / low brass moment of the show, I think it's the most effective, and builds up to what could be a huge moment, but it just stops there and loses all momentum. I've seen that as a huge loss in momentum and missed opportunity since I first heard the show. It seems like all exposition and no reward, in my mind.

• Like 1

As an alumni I'm not sure anyone is listening... but the programming is creating a generic-corps feel.

FWIW this is what I'd do:

Maintain classical identity in broadest sense... not 1812 necessarily but classical as a sophisticated choice but with modern delivery and visual artistry. Crown did it quite well in 15!!! To say the least!

Learn from European brass band tradition which is the gold standard... bring some of their experts in as consultants rather than high school band people. If nothing else to distinguish sound from everyone else. Maybe even look to mirroring their instrumentation.

Think deeply about the PR niche of generation of emotion. I get it others do so too but few like Regiment.

Music choices... use them to get crowds on our side. And if a selection like Rach 2 chosen... it's a great piece... don't mess about with it. The danger is we fall into trap of 'interesting piece... who composed it?'!!!!!!!

Vaughan Williams... Tallis Fantasy

Bartok.... Allegro Barbaro (played allegero)

Left field choice... Chopin chromatic etude

.... and let's not let a gem like Metropolis 1927 slip through the net again!!!

Edited by RADIO3
  • Like 2

I don't think it is necessary to stay with strictly 'classical' music to produce the WOW moments we all crave. As someone mentioned, when you are typically playing only 6-8 minutes of actual music, you have limited opportunities to create these moments. If after 12 minutes, no one can remember even one, your concept and/or design is a failure.

That said, and not that anyone in Rockford listens or cares, I think they should consider Casablanca! There is already a concept/theme to draw from, some great musical pieces and obviously recorded dialogue that could be incorporated into the overall design.

This is just the opening medley.

Edited by Rocketman

Wow, so sad. This show should work  but really doesn't. It checks all the boxes of a modern show yet somehow it doesn't come together at all.  Time to work on 2019 and what I hope is a return to greatness.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I don't think it is necessary to stay with strictly 'classical' music to produce the WOW moments we all crave. As someone mentioned, when you are typically playing only 6-8 minutes of actual music, you have limited opportunities to create these moments. If after 12 minutes, no one can remember even one, your concept and/or design is a failure.

That said, and not that anyone in Rockford listens or cares, I think they should consider Casablanca! There is already a concept/theme to draw from, some great musical pieces and obviously recorded dialogue that could be incorporated into the overall design.

This is just the opening medley.

Didn't BD do a Casablanca show in 1997?

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Didn't BD do a Casablanca show in 1997?

Yes -

As Time Goes By . . . - Casablanca * One Night in Bangkok (from Chess) * A Night in Tunisia * As Time Goes By (from Casablanca)  

However, using the soundtrack and the new modern (sic) interpretations, props, electronics, etc, would make this a completely different show. 

WOW tonight is handwriting on the wall!  The design staff should hand in their resignations first thing Monday morning.

Edited by EricS