Phantom Regiment 2018

2 things:

- I hope they have a BAC-esque staff turnover on the horizon.

- Please do some Mahler next year.

• Like 2

Why is everyone so against PR doing modern music.  It is way past time they look forward and not back.   

10 minutes ago, EricS said:

Why is everyone so against PR doing modern music.  It is way past time they look forward and not back.   

Numerous corps have proven classical music can be effective and successful in the modern era. There is no shortage of pieces to choose from. Why completely stray away from your identity and what made you a draw for talent for no reason at all? 

• Like 4

Whoever brought up key poulan, there are many many arrangers I'd rather see at Phantom than him. He would be an improvement on what they have now, but that's not saying much. He arranged one good show at vanguard, scheherazade. Other than that, nothing spectacular. 

i don't know what their issue is, if it's money to afford any designers that have a clue then it's going to be tough to overcome. A program coordinator/artistic designer should be their priority, they need direction and vision. It seems that they feel that they have to modernize with props and costumes and all that, but nobody involved has a clue how to do it effectively. I don't think they HAVE to modernize, they just need to do what they do well.

I think they can move up in placement with their current brass in percussion staff, it's all just design. I love will pitts but his arrangements are so stale. How many times did they just hold a solid chord out this year with out any moving parts within it? Boring. 

Good luck to them. 

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 3

On 8/6/2018 at 1:50 AM, Bluzes said:

Richard Wagner according to this women was friends with Hitler. My boss didn't know either at the time. Got her on the side and asked why she got so upset. Never gave it much thought since but every time I hear The Ring I am remained. It's like the world became so fragile all of a sudden that one harmless action or word is misinterpreted and defines your entire existence. I was a happy hippy then didn't have a harmful bone in my body and all of a sudden I wanted to place stars on people? Once the false reality brands you it's hard to rub off even if it's far from the truth.  People have lost their lively hoods for a lot less. Sad

Is that Richard Wagner 1813-1883  and Adolph Hitler 1889-1945????!!! :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Whoever brought up key poulan, there are many many arrangers I'd rather see at Phantom than him. He would be an improvement on what they have now, but that's not saying much. He arranged one good show at vanguard, scheherazade. Other than that, nothing spectacular. 

i don't know what their issue is, if it's money to afford any designers that have a clue then it's going to be tough to overcome. A program coordinator/artistic designer should be their priority, they need direction and vision. It seems that they feel that they have to modernize with props and costumes and all that, but nobody involved has a clue how to do it effectively. I don't think they HAVE to modernize, they just need to do what they do well.

I think they can move up in placement with their current brass in percussion staff, it's all just design. I love will pitts but his arrangements are so stale. How many times did they just hold a solid chord out this year with out any moving parts within it? Boring. 

Good luck to them. 

Too bad Jim Wren has retired. He's THE Regiment sound.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, Bluzes said:

Richard Wagner according to this women was friends with Hitler. My boss didn't know either at the time. Got her on the side and asked why she got so upset. Never gave it much thought since but every time I hear The Ring I am remained. It's like the world became so fragile all of a sudden that one harmless action or word is misinterpreted and defines your entire existence. I was a happy hippy then didn't have a harmful bone in my body and all of a sudden I wanted to place stars on people? Once the false reality brands you it's hard to rub off even if it's far from the truth.  People have lost their lively hoods for a lot less. Sad

Wagner certainly wasn't friends with Hitler- but he was certainly an anti-semite. Hitler deeply admired his music, though you must admit that his music has a lasting impression on many today, for non-political reasons. Anyways, that's a debate for a different forum. Hope this clears it up for anyone confused on why this topic was breached. 

1 hour ago, RADIO3 said:

Here's another... listen from 2.30.

And do it before SCV does!

Was thinking about this piece recently and how that moment would make a fantastic opening impact for any corps.