Phantom Regiment 2018

So I talked about this briefly on the Finals thread but it’s still bugging me. When Will Pitts and Rondinero were going through a run down of all the corps and got to SCV, Pitts said something to the effect of, (referring to their show) “It’s incredible  what they’re asking their members to do.” (I’m sure that’s not exactly what he said but I think I’m close enough— it was being impressed on member demand.)

I nearly jumped off my couch. WTH? I don’t know it it was just him having trouble thinking of something to say or what, but... Does that mean Regiment isn’t designing to win or push the members? What are we aiming for, exactly?

I’m definitely not trying to be an one of “those” alumni— I’m still pulling for the guy and trying to stay positive. But what in the blue hell did that mean?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Corps_Efan said:

In any design, concept must come FIRST 

My dream show for Phantom: Exploration of Gestalt

I would behappy to collaborate as I am a professional artist. 

I think that's quite a narrow way of looking at things … and perhaps why drum corps, while terribly 'clever' in recent years, has had quite a few hugely incoherent shows. Ballet, to take an example, is a world where often you have composers who write first but with dance in mind. I don't think music first is necessarily a bad choice. A lot of shows are effectively film scores which can work but often doesn't.

For Regiment, they need to be the corps that, if you are out at the burger van and you hear the name announced you SPRINT to get back into the stadium. In recent years the traffic has been going the other way. And that CAN start with the music choices.

Whatever, the corps has lost its identity and we all want it back, whether modern reincarnation or not.

I must say … Gestalt sounds like the kind of jibberish show no one would get unless they were wanting to advance their own intellectual credentials.

Edited by RADIO3
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, year1buick said:

So I talked about this briefly on the Finals thread but it’s still bugging me. When Will Pitts and Rondinero were going through a run down of all the corps and got to SCV, Pitts said something to the effect of, (referring to their show) “It’s incredible  what they’re asking their members to do.” (I’m sure that’s not exactly what he said but I think I’m close enough— it was being impressed on member demand.)

I nearly jumped off my couch. WTH? I don’t know it it was just him having trouble thinking of something to say or what, but... Does that mean Regiment isn’t designing to win or push the members? What are we aiming for, exactly?

I’m definitely not trying to be an one of “those” alumni— I’m still pulling for the guy and trying to stay positive. But what in the blue hell did that mean?

FFS

Just now, RADIO3 said:

I think that's quote a narrow way of looking at things … and perhaps why drum corps, while terribly 'clever' in recent years, has had quite a few hugely incoherent shows. Ballet, to take an example, is a world where often you have composers who write first but with dance in mind. I don't think music first is necessarily a bad choice. A lot of shows are effectively film scores which can work but often doesn't.

For Regiment, they need to be the corps that, if you are out at the burger van and you hear the name announced you SPRINT to get back into the stadium. In recent years the traffic has been going the other way. And that CAN start with the music choices.

Whatever, the corps has lost its identity and we all want it back, whether modern reincarnation or not.

I must say … Gestalt sounds like the kind of jibberish show no one would get unless they were wanting to advance their own intellectual credentials.

But he's "a professional artist"!!! :lle::doh:

13 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Whoever brought up key poulan, there are many many arrangers I'd rather see at Phantom than him. He would be an improvement on what they have now, but that's not saying much. He arranged one good show at vanguard, scheherazade. Other than that, nothing spectacular. 

i don't know what their issue is, if it's money to afford any designers that have a clue then it's going to be tough to overcome. A program coordinator/artistic designer should be their priority, they need direction and vision. It seems that they feel that they have to modernize with props and costumes and all that, but nobody involved has a clue how to do it effectively. I don't think they HAVE to modernize, they just need to do what they do well.

I think they can move up in placement with their current brass in percussion staff, it's all just design. I love will pitts but his arrangements are so stale. How many times did they just hold a solid chord out this year with out any moving parts within it? Boring. 

Good luck to them. 

Maybe a GoFundMe account should be set up to afford a top notch Program Director/Artistic Designer  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Was thinking about this piece recently and how that moment would make a fantastic opening impact for any corps.h

This would make for a great show, in a way kinda like Into The Light.

38 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I'm assuming you're speaking about his being a commentator when scores were announced. When Will Pitts is commenting on other corps, it is not his job to be speaking about Phantom. He needs to be speaking objectively about the corps In question. Back in the day when PBS had Gene Rayburn host, Pete Emmons gave commentary. He was with SCV and I don't recall his speaking about SCV when another corps was being discussed. Perhaps Will Pitts should no longer be a commentator when Phantom is involved, something I have thought at the premiere event at the cinema, but his stating what most people feel does not mean Phantom has lower expectations.

• Like 3