What will be the trends for 2018?

After Bluecoats win last season there seemed to be major trends in drum corps such as: Soundscaping the environment, and hatless costumes made for motion. What will the trends be for 2018? (We won't include less dependence on wireless microphones.)

34 minutes ago, monarch said:

After Bluecoats win last season there seemed to be major trends in drum corps such as: Soundscaping the environment, and hatless costumes made for motion.

The Blue Devils, undeterred by the hatless trend of 2016, went out in the single most traditional shako and traditional Drum Corps plumes in all of DCI.... and went undefeated this season in the process. The 1st quarter of their show was also a throwback show too, very traditional in Drill, Visuals, Percussion, Guard.. So much for the hatless craze, or the attire craze as being determinative in scores and placements. The Boston Crusdaders did not follow the trend of going hatless. As a matter of fact, they took their shakos and plumes and made them into a visual creative advantage in their scoring, with the " plume wiggle".

Last season at this time we were talking about how transformational the 2016 Bluecoats will be in all the shows here in 2017. But the reality is, most Corps went about their business to do their own thing for the most part here in 2017. I would imagine they'll be more singing in Corps however in 2018, as its pretty clear that mangled singing thru electronics malfunctions, have far less downside risks on the current sheets than if you botch a brass solo, duet, trio, or mess up a dance routine, or whatever. There are no penalties anywhere on the current sheets for the subpar use of electronics,.. or heck even electronics malfunctions,.. so my guess the loud goo will be found even more in the shows in 2018, and with even more brass lines, percussion playing being increasingly filtered through speakers, and the sounds altered accordingly with that for both judges and audiences alike.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Blue Devils, undeterred by the hatless trend of 2016, went out in the single most traditional shako and traditional Drum Corps plumes in all of DCI.... and went undefeated this season in the process. The 1st quarter of their show was also a throwback show too, very traditional in Drill, Visuals, Percussion, Guard.. So much for the hatless craze, or the attire craze as being determinative in scores and placements. The Boston Crusdaders did not follow the trend of goiug hatless. As a matter of fact, they took their shakos and plumes and made them into a visual creative advantage in their scoring, with the " Plume Wiggle".

Last season at this time we were talking about how transformational the 2016 Bluecoats will be in all the shows here in 2017. But the reality is, most Corps went about their business to do their own thing for the most part here in 2017. I would imagine they'll be more singing in Corps however in 2018, as its pretty clear that mangled singing, or singing off key, out of tune, etc have far less doownside risks on the cyurrent sheets than if you botch a brass solo, duet, trio, or mess up a dance routine, or whatever.

I don't agree with this at all.

Before electronics and nontraditional costuming, Bluecoats were just another good, midling dci corps. That never won a single gold medal. 

I see the impact of their gold medal almost everywhere, including Blue Devils with amplification. Half of the finalists have changed from traditional uniforms to costuming in just two years. More will change next year. Nearly all finalists heavily depended on amplification, ironically none more then Cavaliers.

• Like 5

The Bluecoats simply utilized the electronics well in 2016. They did not invent it, and it was utilized in Corps shows before. The Bluecoats finish of 1st in 2016 and 5th here in 2017 had little to do with their " electronics " useage. I thought, from an " electronics"  useage standpoint, their 2017 show was no less unsatisfying than any of their previous uses of it. The Bluecoats fall from 1st to 5th  had little at all to do with their Engineering Section of their Corps this season, imo. Their" modern" use of the bowler hats, their attire, little to do with it either.( That said, I loved their show)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The top 3 corps had, essentially, the same concept. This is what we were, we have changed, this is who we are now. Very introspective stuff. They all executed this concept in unique ways. 

I doubt these three will have the same concept as each other again, but i do wonder what the new concept trend will be. I wonder if it will be about "foundations" or "structure". 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I never said they invented electronics, or costuming. They validated them. 

Oh I definately give the Bluecoats deserved credit for its wise use of it.

I think the heightened use of the transformation of performers natural sound ( voice or musical instruments ) being altered thru engineering means will be an escalating trend. As such, all these Corps Engineering Sections ( not Brass, Percussion, or Guard) will increasingly become THE most important section in their Corps in the next few years regarding scores/ placements. All the signs are there to see where this is going, and the " trend lines" thus seem unmistakable to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1