What will be the trends for 2018?

Since general effect is the single most important scoring caption, and it is entirely subjective, then I would argue every subjective aspect of a show matters. And that definitely includes attire.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Since general effect is the single most important scoring caption, and it is entirely subjective, then I would argue every subjective aspect of a show matters. And that definitely includes attire.

Especially if a corps chooses to make it a focal point and part of a production.

15 minutes ago, StunnedMonkey said:

If attire is meaningless, then why the emphasis on costuming? 

Beats me.You are asking the wrong person. I just said, attire ( hats or no hats ) is meaningless to scores and placements. BD went out with the most traditional Cadet styled shako with the most traditional white plume in all of DCI. SCV went hatless. The fact that the Blue Devils stayed traditional in plummage, and SCV went hatless was essentially non factors in either Corps scores and placements. We could go right down the line and say this with every Corps, including every one of them in Open Class and in Soundsport too. A corps attire and what you wear or don't wear on your head is irrelevant to where you finish in competition. Only Guard attire might have the ever so slight impact on a score or placement, but even here its mostly inconsequential at best, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Especially if a corps chooses to make it a focal point and part of a production.

Exactly. Which most corps now do.

42 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I notice there were not too many vocals in the first-place show (all prerecorded: historic drum corps announcements at the beginning and end, some chanting by a bass voice in a foreign language from time to time, and the samples of Rihanna and someone else (Sia?) singing "Diamonds") and none in the second-place show.

That would be a trend I'd like to see continue and grow.

SCV has a lot of prerecorded effects, though.

15 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

SCV has a lot of prerecorded effects, though.

One step at a time.

9 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Before electronics and nontraditional costuming, Bluecoats were just another good, midling dci corps. That never won a single gold medal. 

I see the impact of their gold medal almost everywhere, including Blue Devils with amplification. Half of the finalists have changed from traditional uniforms to costuming in just two years. More will change next year. Nearly all finalists heavily depended on amplification, ironically none more then Cavaliers.

Not to mention the WGI butterfly upper half of the uniform after taking off those fabulous tailored jackets.

The most radical departure in uniforms and headgear from 2016 to 2017 was with the Madison Scouts, imo. Yet there was no radical departure in either their scores,. nor their placements. For 99% of the 2016 season they were a 12th place Corps. Despite the radical change in both attire and headgear it neither improved nor hindered their placement, as they were essentially a 12th place Drum Corps both years.

Most DCI Corps change their attire and headgear almost EVERY year ( or every couple of years). All 60 some odd of them. If attire and headgear had much effect on scores and placements, we would not see 90% of the Corps finishing every season within 2 placement positions of their previous season's finish. Its not my fault, if so many Corps are under the false impression that you need to buy modern costuming from the costuming mfg, and put money into their pockets in a false hope that it will increase your scores and placements. There is no evidence at all that what duds you wear, nor what you put on your scalp ( or go hatless ) will effect your scores and placements. Quite the contrary. There is a mountain of verifiable historical data to demonstrate that what you wear in competition is essentially meaningless to your scores and placements.... no matter what the urban myth seems to promote, and in which it appears some people have become susceptible to believing.

Edited by BRASSO

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The most radical departure in uniforms and headgear from 2016 to 2017 was with the Madison Scouts, imo. Yet there was no radical departure in either their scores,. nor their placements. For 99% of the 2016 season they were a 12th place Corps. Despite the radical change in both attire and headgear it neither improved nor hindered their placement, as they were essentially a 12th place Drum Corps both years.

Most DCI Corps change their attire and headgear almost EVERY year ( or every couple of years). All 60 some odd of them. If attire and headgear had much effect on scores and placements, we would not see 90% of the Corps finishing every season within 2 placement positions of their previous season's finish. Its not my fault, if so many Corps are under the false impression that you need to buy modern costuming from the costuming mfg, and put money into their pockets in a false hope that it will increase your scores and placements. There is no evidence at all that what duds you wear, nor what you put on your scalp ( or go hatless ) will effect your scores and placements. Quite the contrary. There is a mountain of verifiable historical data to demonstrate that what you wear in competition is essentially meaningless to your scores and placements.... no matter what the urban myth seems to promote, and in which it appears some people have become susceptible to believing.

would judge comments mentioning not only whats worn, especially if the corps chose to make what they wear a factor in the programming? Same goes with specific equipment or colors uses or even fabric for a specific part of a show? Do you think with all of that it may at very least play a part with what a judge decides to put down in a score?Not being snarky just asking your opinion.

2018 will feature a predictable pendulum swing away from live vocals and electronic enhancement.  I'm not saying they'll totally go away -- that will take a rules change -- but I believe coordinators and staff realize they've taken the burden of performance away from the performers and put it on the sound man.  The score sheets reward the individuals on the field, not the person at the controls.

• Like 1