What will be the trends for 2018?

35 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Phantom Regiment performs "Women are from Venus"

The hornline will be smaller yet to make room for more phantomettes.  Hey it could work!

• Like 1

The Bluecoats went hatless last season and won DCI.

The Blue Devils did not follow that headgear trend. The Blue Devils went out here in 2017 with a Cadet styled traditional shako, and the most traditional sized white plume you could possibly find in all of Drum Corps.

The Bluecoats DCI winning Title in 2016, and the Blue Devils DCI winning Title here in 2017 had nothing to do with the attire nor the headgear choices however, as neither could be more different in the decision making that resulted in that completely disparate attire worn onto the field. These Corps won themselves DCI Titles, and it was not the outward attire nor the headgear that did it.. it was what was underneath that attire and headgear that mattered.  Same as it ever was....( ps.. and of course, Show Design.)

Edited by BRASSO

52 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

totally agree with you. Its been my experience for a long time as well and many staff within DCI

Its been my experience for a long time that you are wrong too.... staffs every year in  every World Class, Open Class,( Soundsport now) make decisions on attire and headgear, There is no universal agreement at all among the various staffs that their attire and head gear choices will make a difference in their scores and placements either. Some mistakenly think so. Others staffers more realistic with this. But the bottom line is that there is no connection whatsoever between attire and headgear and scores and placements in DCI World and Open Class. How can we say this with any level of certainty ? We can say this because these Corps in World Class and Open Class all wear different styles of attire and headgear. ( I'm just assuming here now that folks know what Gold wore onto the field in attire/.headgear this season, and Oregon Crusaders, Impulse,, Carolina Crown, Madison,  Jersey Surf, Blue Devils, Heat Wave, Spartans etc).  There is no connection whatsoever between these vastly different attire and headgear choices and these Corps scores and placements. Most Corps in DCI change their attire and headgear a lot. Their attire and headgear choices however never move the dial for them score wise or placement wise no matter what anybody tries to tell us otherwise. The proof is in their scores and the placements, and the disparate attire and headgear ( or no headgear ) worn into performance competition. Its irrelevant. So few Corps move up in placement year in and year out, So we KNOW their frequent attire changes, headgear choices have had little to no effect on their scores and placements.

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its been my experience for a long time that you are wrong too.... staffs every year in  every World Class, Open Class,( Soundsport now) make decisions on attire and headgear, There is no universal agreement at all among the various staffs that their attire and head gear choices will make a difference in their scores and placements. Some think so. Others staffers more realistic. But the bottom line is that there is no connection whatsoever between attire and headgear and scores and placements in Worlds Class and Open Class. How can we say this with any level of certainty ? We can say this because these Corps in World Class and Open Class all wear different styles of attire and headgear. ( I'm just assuming here now that folks know what Gold wore onto the field in attire/.headgear, and Oregon Crusaders Impulse,, Carolina Crown, Madison,  Jersey Surf, Blue Devils, Heat Wave, Spartans etc).  There is no connection whatsoever between these vastlly different attire and headgear choices and these Corps scores and placements. Most change their attire and headgear a lot. Their attire. headgear choices however never move the dial for them score wise or placement wise no matter what anybody tries to tell us otherwise. The proof is in the scores and the placements.

and you know all this how?

I was answering other poster anyway. And agreeing with them. Why not address them.

Edited by GUARDLING

12 hours ago, wesleyrp said:

Less drill.... and I really don't care for it, but it's the trend. So much more choreography and body mvt than actual drill. Take a look at how much more athletic SCV show was drill wise to BD and that didn't win visually. 

I think you're right.  Why would a corps gamble with creative, exposed or demanding drill when there's no reward for it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

and you know all this how?

Well, I just explained " how " we know this. Scores and placements. Corps change attire. headgear frequently.. some every season. Most Corps in World and Open Class rarely change that much in placements/ scores. If attire and headgear were as important to scores and placements as a few think, then we would have seen more  changes in scores and placements that matches the frequency upon which Corps change their attire and headgear so frequently. But the fact that scores and placements from year to year with the vast majority of Corps in World Class and Open Class don't change much, is pretty convincing evidence that attire and head gear has virtually nothing at all to do with the scores and placements in DCI.

3 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I think you're right.  Why would a corps gamble with creative, exposed or demanding drill when there's no reward for it?

To be entertaining.

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, I just explained " how " we know this. Scores and placements. Corps change attire. headgear frequently.. some every season. Most Corps in World and Open Class rarely change that much in placements/ scores. If attire and headgear were as important to scores and placements as a few think, then we would have seen more  changes in scores and placements that matches the frequency upon which Corps change their attire and headgear so frequently. But the fact that scores and placements from year to year with the vast majority of Corps in World Class and Open Class don't change much, is pretty convincing evidence that attire and head gear has virtually nothing at all to do with the scores and placements in DCI.

Well I guess you can believe what you want. Although I have hundreds of judges critiques that put quite the emphasis on what you say is of no significance . So I guess were at a stalemate. You'll have to debate someone else..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well I guess you can believe what you want.

Of course we both can believe what we want. Thats just a given. I can tell now that  I am not about  to convince you that attire  and headgear have not moved the dial at all on the vast majority of Corps scores and placements over the years ( this year, or any year ), than you are about to convince me that attire and headgear ( or no headgear ) has had much of an effect at all on scores and placements. So sure, theres not much more ( I think anyway ) that either one of us can point too that scores and placements have changed over the years and were influenced by what duds the Corps wore in performance competition. Not this year. Not any year. You think they were. I think they wern't. So I guess we are at an impasse on this, and so we both move on from it.

Edited by BRASSO