What will be the trends for 2018?

I think we are going to see more of the effects type of electronics being used (electronic modulation of the sound going through the microphone). The Cavaliers, Bluecoats, and especially Blue Knights delved into that this season, so I expect the bar to be raised by a few other corps next season.

The Bluecoats went hatless in 2016, and we heard over and over again in the offseason that many World Class/ open Class Corps would follow this trend of going hatless. Few did.  But those that did, saw their scores and placements go up, others go down,  others stay about the same. As one would expect ( as attire/headgear are irrelevant to scores/ placements). Bluecoats went from hatless ( 1st place ) to wearing headgear ( 5th place ). Was the Bluecoats decision to not remain hatless have anything at all to do with falling 4 placement positions here in 2017 ? No. Thats silly, if people think the headgear and/or attire was any reason the Bluecoats won it all in 2016, and finished 5th here in 2017. Should Corps go back to the traditional Cadet Styled shako and traditional sized white plumes ? Well, this year's DCI Champion had that on for their headgear, and won this season's 2017 DCI Title with it. See how silly this can become ?. The Blue Devils won DCI this season, and what they had on for duds and hats or non hats was irrelevant to their winning a DCI Title. Corps receive their scores and placements.. from 1st to 45th... in all manner of attire, hats, non hats, etc. Same as it ever was. ( and should be, imo )

Edited by BRASSO

20 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Would the Cadets have finished any lower this season if they wore their iconic Cadet styled uniforms / shakos/ plumes ?  I don't believe so. The 2017 Cadets not only changed their 80 year uniforms once again for this season, they made FOUR costume/ uniform changes in every performance they performed in this season. You can't change attire/headgear more quickly and frequently than that. It did virtually nothing for them score wise/ placement wise.

If the 2017 show were performed completely as written, but with only one uniform throughout, then yes I believe the visual effect score would suffer. It's also possible the visual proficiency score would benefit from being able to read the feet and drill easier in the first half of the show. Comparing this to other seasons without uniform changes and/or with the traditional uniform, is disingenuous because the designers would find other ways to generate effect.

The Cavaliers would not have been as dominant in the 2000's if they wore white pants/shoes and dark tops/hats. Their entire marching and drill style was designed to de-emphasize cleanliness in the feet and legs, and was all about the oversized white shoulders and hats lining up on their dots.

Crown in 2012 and Boston in 2014 were repeatedly slammed (on here at least) because the lack of contrast in their uniform colors made their tight, complex drill difficult to read. Do you think multiple casual observers on DCP noticed that and the viusal analysis judge didn't? I'm not so sure.

Of course there are many factors the judges consider, so the actual effect on the final score is probably minuscule at best, but we had contests determined by as little as 1/80th of a point this year. Even the tiniest bump could be the difference.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Spandy said:

I don't want judges awarding costume points, as I see how they dress in attire themselves most of 'em.. Thankfully, these judges are not required to judge Corps attire/ headgear. They're probably relieved and feel the same way, I suspect...  Visual caption judges are pretty good at detecting dirty feet marching however, no matter how much Corps attempt to camouflage the subpar marching with deceptiveness attempts via the attire. I'd say it doesn't work all that much in the long run during the course of the season where judges have access to multiple watchings and access to performance videos, and up close, on the field judging, and so forth. It might be camouflaged with some fans though. But they don't count on the sheets, so theres no benefit for the attire/ headgear on the sheets via the fans input either.

Edited by BRASSO

fire batons

sharks with frickin laser beams

segues

• Like 2

The only way to test the "uniform/head gear" matters theories is to do an A/B copy test like advertisers do.  Expose the audience(aka judges) to both versions WHERE ALL OTHER THINGS are equal and see what scores higher.  Given we can't go into an alternate universe where we have all things the same except the uniforms/headgear, it's impossible to prove there is or isn't a difference.

I do know a veteran visual designer who swears that headgear, especially tall head gear, is necessary because it makes everyone look taller.  He also says white hats are preferable to black ones for visibility reasons.  But, who knows, maybe it never mattered.

3 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I do know a veteran visual designer who swears that headgear, especially tall head gear, is necessary because it makes everyone look taller. .

If " tallness " counted on the scoring sheets, rather than buy expensive headgear, then Corps could just bring a tape measure to audition camps and select just the " tall" campers for a spot in line. ( see how silly this can become, if we buy into these silly narratives that are out and about that too many people seem to accept without a critical pause ? )

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If " tallness " counted on the scoring sheets, rather than buy expensive headgear, then Corps could just bring a tape measure to audition camps and select just the " tall" campers for a spot in line. ( see how silly this can become, if we buy into these silly narratives that are out and about that too many people seem to accept without a critical pause ? )

That's an utterly silly response.  The appearance of "tallness" would be a group impression, not an individual one.  A shako with a plume can add a foot to everyone's height, short or tall.   If the average member is 5'10", that makes them appear 6'10".  Got many 6'10" people applying at camp?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I don't want judges awarding costume points

What you want and what actually happens are very different things. 

• Like 2