What will be the trends for 2018?

Let's not forget that infamous black Cadets uniform change in 2015. Muddied up their drill and scores tumbled, leading to a third place finish. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Let's not forget that infamous black Cadets uniform change in 2015. Muddied up their drill and scores tumbled, leading to a third place finish. 

Gees you'd think they did that in 2017 when the scores tumbled again ;-) just kidding y'all.  

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

It was fourth

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

.  A shako with a plume can add a foot to everyone's height, short or tall.   If the average member is 5'10", that makes them appear 6'10".  Got many 6'10" people applying at camp?

6'10 looking female marchers score WAY better than the 5'10 female marchers a Visual Designer ( a male ) told me once.... 6'10 looking male marchers that are really under 6 feet tall, lose.000003  on the scoring sheets per marcher for every inch under 6 feet they are. This is why Corps buy unisex headgear, I was told. This way it camouflages whether the 6'10 looking people in line are male or female. If Corps can pull points out of from their hats by making marchers seem a foot taller, they  should be thinking of taller hats that make marchers look 7'10, as the taller  looking you are, the better and bigger the visuals it creates, and thus even more points to be had for appearance of tallness in the visuals it creates. Judges like their marchers to look much taller than they really are, this Visual Designer told me, and award points for tallness looking attire and headgear.  But the short and long of it, I'm really not yet convinced of this yet.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

What you want and what actually happens are very different things. 

No kidding. We could apply that equally to just about everyone that posts on here, including your " wants " and what " actually happens "

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The Cadets fall to 4th ( not 3rd ) being attributed to the change in the Cadet styled uniforms from their Maroons/ whites/ yellows to all blacks is pretty ridiculous. I don't even think George Hopkins, not his Visual staffers at the Cadets would make such a silly excuse of the mid season change of colors in the Cadet styled uniform for the scores/ placements plummet from the San Antonio regionals ( 1st place ) to Finals Night a mere few weeks later ( 4th ).  Visual Caption Judges are far better trained &, experienced, than for anybody to think that they  somehow can not  properly distinquish good marching, Visual pattern uniformity, etc from sub par marching, visuals uniformity, etc because of the..... ... attire colors.  haha!.  Good Lord, Phantom Regiment won DCI, including the Visual Captions, in the All Blacks attire ( 1996 )  The Corps that had " muddied " drill, and finished below Phantom Regiment in '96 was not because of their uniform colors muddying up the drill.. lol!  Phantom's win in '96 was not the result of the " all blacks " choice they made in attire/ headgear that season either... The colors ( and attire/ headgear ) neither helped, nor hindered their ability to win a DCI Title. Same as it ever was, for every Corps, every year.. including this season.

Edited by BRASSO

I hope that there will be more originality and unique ideas, less cookie cutter copycat programs, and old is not new it's a retread and never as good as the original. 

On 8/13/2017 at 6:48 PM, BRASSO said:

Yes... and thats my belief as well. What a Corps has on for attire ( or hats, or no hats ) has never had any effect on the Corps scores or placements. The Cadets, for an example, had an iconic Cadets styled uniform , colors, and shako that essentially was unchanged for 80 years. During those 80 years they won multiple Titles in the Pre DCI Years with it, as well as multiple titles in the DCI years with it ( as recently as 2011 with it). But they also have finished out of the Top 30 in it, and  also years when they almost went bankrupt wearing the cadet styled attire. The thing we learn from this 80 year of uninterrupted lesson is that the unchanged attire had nothing to do with the years the Cadets won Titles, nor the years the Cadets finished out of the Top 30. What a Corps wears for duds is meaningless to their scores and placements. Its a non factor really, imo. Just as you said, talent, show design, excellent teaching are the catalysts for success. Thats why there really was no reason at all for the Cadets to change their Cadets styled attire, as it did at least provide the uninterrupted continuation of the 80 year successful brand. 

Almost all the shows I attended this year set record audience numbers. This is part of the driver as well, and the costumes are a part of it. You want to tell me that those guys on the Blue Devils playing their solos in muscle tops didn't make a few fans? I can tell you that people who had never heard of drum corps before this year have seen The Cadets and been turned on by a show that didn't even place in the top 5.  The uniform was part of it. At the same time, the use of vocalists by Crusaders and Crown and a whole choir by Cadets in a beautiful way all around is going to attract one more segment of fans.

Also, with the amount of viewing that takes place on the web, don't underestimate the value of personalization that comes when the headgear disappears. Suddenly there is a face, and not just a corps member. Eye contact, expression - not just restricted to guard and pit anymore. 

Follow the money and you will see the future. 

26 minutes ago, Icer said:

Almost all the shows I attended this year set record audience numbers. This is part of the driver as well, and the costumes are a part of it. You want to tell me that those guys on the Blue Devils playing their solos in muscle tops didn't make a few fans? I can tell you that people who had never heard of drum corps before this year have seen The Cadets and been turned on by a show that didn't even place in the top 5.  The uniform was part of it. At the same time, the use of vocalists by Crusaders and Crown and a whole choir by Cadets in a beautiful way all around is going to attract one more segment of fans.

Also, with the amount of viewing that takes place on the web, don't underestimate the value of personalization that comes when the headgear disappears. Suddenly there is a face, and not just a corps member. Eye contact, expression - not just restricted to guard and pit anymore. 

Follow the money and you will see the future. 

My remarks however were solely confined to the commentary above that attire and headgear have an effect on these World Class and Open Class Corps scores and placements. I took no position in those remarks if there was a connection between attire/ headgear and DCI attendance and/ or fan base growth.  Maybe we could discuss that later though... who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

21 minutes ago, Icer said:

You want to tell me that those guys on the Blue Devils playing their solos in muscle tops didn't make a few fans?

Oh sure, it definitely made a few.  That is without question.

But it lost a lot more.  You may not see it or feel it yet.  But you will.