What will be the trends for 2018?

Prediction: less singing overall, but another (better) Cadet vocal ensemble. This past year, there were about 25 that showed up to audition, and they were wonderful! However, next year, I get a strong feeling it could be an extremely competitive section if it returns.

4 hours ago, Shewhois said:

Prediction: less singing overall, but another (better) Cadet vocal ensemble. This past year, there were about 25 that showed up to audition, and they were wonderful! However, next year, I get a strong feeling it could be an extremely competitive section if it returns.

Some corps, such as Cadets, integrated vocals well. For others, "It Was" an epic failure. 

On 8/13/2017 at 0:39 PM, Tim K said:

I do not believe amplification will go away, but it will be coordinated much better. I don't think amplification helped everyone and in some cases, it seemed turf shows which I'm sure judges noted. The goal will be to have amplification so flawless, no one knows it's being used or at least barely notice.

I like your thoughts a lot, except I'm confused by your second sentence.  I couldn't make sense of it, but the rest of what you said was good and should be what everyone is working towards.  I'm just not sure that DCI or the judges have a handle on it yet and they need to have some guidelines talked about and on paper that would indicate the direction that DCI would like to see happen.  A controlled environment that supplements the music or a free-for-all, which is where we are at now, or something in between.  

3 minutes ago, Vdad76 said:

I like your thoughts a lot, except I'm confused by your second sentence.  I couldn't make sense of it, but the rest of what you said was good and should be what everyone is working towards.  I'm just not sure that DCI or the judges have a handle on it yet and they need to have some guidelines talked about and on paper that would indicate the direction that DCI would like to see happen.  A controlled environment that supplements the music or a free-for-all, which is where we are at now, or something in between.  

I wrote this while waiting for my plane to board and did not proof read it. I am also having iPad issues. It's older and the keys are acting funny. I think "turf" was supposed to be "to hurt."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Oh sure, it definitely made a few.  That is without question.

But it lost a lot more.  You may not see it or feel it yet.  But you will.

I think the Blue Devils did everything right this year. Combination of old and new, plus they simply outplayed everyone.  Hats off to them. Everyone else needs to try harder. 

8 minutes ago, Icer said:

Everyone else needs to try harder. 

Agree 100%.  But "try harder" doesn't have to mean "Do everything by the numbers the way last year's gold medalist did, and take it over the top".  That's how we've gotten to where we are with amplification, props, costumes and dancing.

I'd rather see some creative and imaginative thinking next year, thinking that doesn't focus so much on "How can we top BD?", but instead on "How can we top ourselves?".

Edited by Bobby L. Collins