2018 Blue Stars

If they can keep all the sections strong, as they are now, and come out strong with well crafted G.E. and editing in their show; they should contended for that middle tier of the top 12. I don't think 6th or 7th place is too lofty of a goal for the Blue Stars, next year. They need to tone down the electronic voice samples or intertwine them more effectively, if utilized; in addition, they need to put the story telling and love stories in storage for a while. The top corps excel at creating a theme by taking a great collection of songs that go well together. Concept theme can and does just as well as a story telling theme. 

Section breakdown:
*Brass: The best the corps has had in years! Ward and his crew have done wonders for this section! They should be just fine if they can keep the talent from venturing off to the top tier corps and replenishing the spots vacated by the age outs with more top notch individuals.
*Percussion: Kudos to the crew that remained, stepped up to the plate, and carried on the great work that was started by Mapes and Grom. This was a rebuilding year for the percussion, in some sense; but they did a fantastic job and should be just fine in the long run. Just keep bringing in the talent!
*Guard: Have been a consistent standard with the corps for a long time now. Just need better editing in the work. Sometimes it's a bit too "busy" with not enough "flow" from one idea to the next. Keep the winter guard talent coming in. 
*Visual: Just a little tweaking. This is the section that has been holding the corps back along with show design. Unfortunately, it can be a rock and hard place caption. You can have super clean drill and super clean marching; but if the G.E. and choreography aren't spot on, then the clean drill and marching will only go so far. 

The corps is in good hands with a lot of great folks that care a lot about the experience the young men and women on the field are getting. Just try something more original with concept instead of story telling. Let somebody else do a pre-packaged show and here's hoping that 2018 takes the corps to the next level. FCO! :thumbup:  

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

Any news this weekend regarding the design staff and caption heads? I am hoping they can keep them together. They may need a little new blood via addition - maybe an overall show coordinator who is not responsible for a particular section. 

• Like 1

I would agree with many of the above that i think the corps is headed in the right direction. 16 and 17 were both years i loved. My main criticism of '17 was that sometimes the show felt a bit disjointed in the transitions, but i think im hardly unique in that criticism, and one that is pretty show-specific.

I certainly don't know enough about percussion to comment there, but hoping for no major changes of direction on the brass\guard side of things. And i hope for many more years with Frank writing the brass book. 

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

Any news this weekend regarding the design staff and caption heads? I am hoping they can keep them together. They may need a little new blood via addition - maybe an overall show coordinator who is not responsible for a particular section. 

Ward is posting about next year's auditions on facebook. I assume percussion caption heads will stay since they are also arranging.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

<3 Way to go Brad and team!

21272465_10211412609644888_6892354572847

The Blue Stars have 4 sets of uniforms we are willing to donate to programs in need. Pictures in the comments. Exact counts are unknown, but all should have a minimum of 120 uniforms (probably higher, but most likely not more than 150). Contact me at brad@bluestars.org

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The Blue Stars have 4 sets of uniforms we are willing to donate to programs in need. Pictures in the comments. Exact counts are unknown, but all should have a minimum of 120 uniforms (probably higher, but most likely not more than 150). Contact me at brad@bluestars.org

Great gesture Blue Stars.

I haven't been a big fan of Blue Stars the last two years because of the story/show. (They have been over-propped, too.) But the music plays in my head maybe more than any other corps. Especially this years'. Melodic, well-played, just plain enjoyable. There were marching moments this year that were terrific to watch, too.

For me, the couples/love story theme grew tiresome. (I will gladly vote for a three-year moratorium on any hint of couples finding and losing each other on the field.) So I'm anxious to see BS bring their talent and music together in a much less labored show design. If not, I'll anyway still look forward to what I expect will be great music in 2018.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

For me, the couples/love story theme grew tiresome. (I will gladly vote for a three-year moratorium on any hint of couples finding and losing each other on the field.) So I'm anxious to see BS bring their talent and music together in a much less labored show design. If not, I'll anyway still look forward to what I expect will be great music in 2018.

I'm not adverse to a couples theme if it's done in the spirit of their Houdini or To Build a Home shows. Those had some subtlety and an organic flow. I think they maxed out that theme with those two great shows. My thoughts are the staff realizes that and I have faith they'll come out with something fresh in '18.