2018 Blue Stars

Found out they got 4th. Directly from DCI.org. Fromthepressbox shows erroneous scoring.

3rdvin substance, 5th in achievement, total of 19.1 pts good for 4th overall in guard 2014. So I guess that betters that overall average a little!

From what I've seen, this year, the guard does not look like a top 12 guard. They come across as a very talented Div II guard. I understand having fun and making memories; but focusing on looking like Christmas characters isn't going to help them compete against the likes of the Blue Devils, Crown, etc. I suppose if this is Shapiro's swan song with the corps; he probably wants the kids to have as much fun as possible. There has to be a balance of fun and focus. 

20 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

From what I've seen, this year, the guard does not look like a top 12 guard. They come across as a very talented Div II guard. I understand having fun and making memories; but focusing on looking like Christmas characters isn't going to help them compete against the likes of the Blue Devils, Crown, etc. I suppose if this is Shapiro's swan song with the corps; he probably wants the kids to have as much fun as possible. There has to be a balance of fun and focus. 

Grow a sense of humor because every guard does it! Just like hornlines that wear pink on Wednesdays. This guard will be great just like every guard under Shapiro. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

If you think Michael Shapiro or his staff would put out a sub par guard then you clearly don't know him.  His guards always have crazy books and are always a mess at the start of the season but by the end of the season, as they start to master their crazy book, then they start to turn heads.  There is no reason this year will be any different.

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I you think Michael Shapiro or his staff would put out a sub par guard then you clearly don't know him.  His guards always have crazy books and are always a mess at the start of the season but by the end of the season, as they start to master their crazy book, then they start to turn heads.  There is no reason this year will be any different.

Shapiro is a maniac!  So creative. I’m always amazed by the BStars guard and their ability to spin his crazy twirls.  

8 minutes ago, karuna said:

Shapiro is a maniac!  So creative. I’m always amazed by the BStars guard and their ability to spin his crazy twirls.  

In his years with Blue Stars only one thing stands out to me as a miss. That was the guard work with the conjoined twins a few years back. It never got passed the awkward stage. 

Getting rev'ed up for next Thursday's DCI Premier in the theaters - trying to get a feel for this year's show:

Repertoire:

• We've Only Just Begun - Paul H Williams, Roger S Nichols
  • Skyscrapers - John Alden Carpenter
  • Precious Metals - Thomas Newman
  • (They Long To Be) Close to You - Burt F Bacharach, Hal David
  • Images Oubliees - Claude Debussy
  • Rainy Days And Mondays - Paul H Williams, Roger S Nichols
  • I Won't Last A Day Without You - Paul H Williams, Roger S Nichols

So -- looks like the 2nd half of the show will all be fairly down tempo - I imagine there will be a lot of lush beautiful hornline moments -- but where is the energy going to be coming from if all of the music is down tempo? 

Should we be preparing for a BD-esque park and blow for the final part of the show?