2018 Blue Stars

11 minutes ago, tedrick said:

excited to hear the good reports! looking forward to Thursday -- 

question for those of you who have heard the show: would you say the show has tempo variations or is it all kind of a smooth groove - that's what I think of when I think of 70s pop music -- 

Is there very much up tempo? Or is it kind of medium tempo/ballad feels?

Thank you!

There is plenty of up tempo, aggressive music. You will like it.

2 hours ago, tedrick said:

excited to hear the good reports! looking forward to Thursday -- 

question for those of you who have heard the show: would you say the show has tempo variations or is it all kind of a smooth groove - that's what I think of when I think of 70s pop music -- 

Is there very much up tempo? Or is it kind of medium tempo/ballad feels?

Thank you!

It has a little of everything.  The contemporary Skyscrapers number is kick a**....an up tempo major part of the show... so far my favorite number. 

So when I heard about Frank Sullivan leaving I was sad and cautious of the next writer.  Today I have to say I was dead wrong and Jim Wunderlich has exceeded expectations tenfold.  The brass has improved so much in the last 3 years and his writing fits them perfectly.  If you close your eyes and listen to the ballad you would think BD is playing in front of you.  I can guarantee this show will be on your playlist because of how much it grooves.  They had a pretty full stands for an early season rehearsal and the crowd ate it up.

From their Instagram

34428424_1708723565841640_82073428222824

• Like 2

Ok. Per that video, there's a couple things I'm coming away with. To be clear, no one should give a hoot what I think. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I have issues with the music design. I'll get into that in a second. The performers themselves, FANTASTIC. That hornline is absolutely sensational, and they're tackling some meat! There's a low brass hit on the left side of the field in the closer that just drips with power. The muted trumpet chords in the ballad...perfect. I could sincerely listen to that hornline all day. No question their brass can PLAY this year.

Ok. Here goes: I wish they had been given something better to play. Don't get me wrong, there's tons of difficulty in there, but from a pure musicality in the writing standpoint, not much grabbed me or stood out, and the entire book reads (listens?) as fairly mono-texture ---- nowhere near the variance in texture, tempo, and especially mood that we've seen from early season Crossmen and Academy videos. I very, VERY much look forward to being proven wrong, but the music book currently seems like an ill fit for such a talented and deep-sounding hornline....like they wanted to show off more than just nice runs and hits but weren't given the opportunity to do so. Really, I'm left a bit floored at the lack of variance offered. I think this is exemplified in the opening two minutes pretty well: it's all very nice, and I like nice, but feels a but sterile and lacking in forward motion. Not an opener to get a crowd on their feet, despite it being quite loud. Just lots of the same. Same with Skyscrapers that follows....nothing musically grabs you and whisks you forward, not that there's anything wrong with being left in the moment, but then there's not a whole lot of unique musical moments to be present in, either. 

On that note, the theme confuses me as well: is the carpenter motif supposed to be just a concept and not a story? If that's the case, I'm FINE with that, as I typically don't prefer a "plot" in a show, but man they've got incredibly specific props and ideas, like the sawhorses, 2x4s, saw blades, and tool belts. A bit too blunt for just a concept (like "Ouroboros" or "Metamorph", for example, where subtle won the game), but not quite fleshed out enough to represent a specific plot, point-A-to-point-B theme (see Wicked Games, It Is, etc from last year). So they seem to occupy a nebulous space of too clear and obvious for a conceptual show idea, but not nuanced or detailed enough for a linear plot. So I guess they're just...carpenters playing music and working with sawhorses too? But what's the title about? And I understand this will all be addressed as the season progresses, I'm just saying it's not initially clear what the direction is for the carpenter idea, which simultaneously pervades every aspect of the show and yet doesn't add much to it. 

Ok, enough ragging: besides the impressive and aggressive hornline, *THE* best part: that absolutely sublime guard writing!!!! Just...wow. Should be a masterclass in staging: everything perfectly highlights what's going on musically. I mean, perfectly. Yet again, Blue Stars' guard punches way above the corps' usual standing as a whole unit. The guard work, again as usual for Blue Stars, is INSANE, but seems to be much cleaner much earlier on than we often see from them. Sky high tosses. Perfect balance of jaw-dropping ensemble work and layered multi-tasking within a uniformed block. Sabre work in the ballad is pure gold. Everything just leads the eye naturally to where it's supposed to go and rewards it when it gets there. Excellent, excellent guard writing, and currently being tackled by a monstrously talented color guard.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with the performers and their early season skills; not so much with the design. But, the season has yet to even begin competitively, and it would be silly to presume this show couldn't turn into a fantastic one, which it absolutely can. The skeletal structure just hasn't blown me away is all.

• Like 1

I don't agree, I think the music book is outstanding.  I like that it is all quite laid back (esp the drum solo) - gives them a unique sound.  I don't think they are trying to tell any story at all, just use 'carpenter/Carpenters' as a concept which I am sure will be fleshed out during the season. Guard is strong as ever, and as you say, seems a little more together than usual for this time of year (I hear it's a very talent laden group) and very well staged.

i really like that the guard and corps are wearing the same costumes and the hornline’s body moves are motivated by the theme (ie moving planks or using measures) rather than just body moves for body moves sake.

I think they are set up for a strong season and will be competing successfully against Crossmen, Phantom et al.  Their drill is packed with effect and it feels a very GE orientated show.  Will be interesting to see how they stack up.

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm finding this design overall to be way more coherent and well put together than last year. I'm loving the music, and although I kind of agree with the lack of variety feel to it, I think it'll work well as the season progresses. I think this is a great vehicle to push them up the competitive ladder. 

Edited by Narrow

My least favorite Blue Stars Show maybe ever.

sorry.

i understand the music is from the Carpenters but the visual design is waaaay too literal. The uniforms make the corps look like little kids wearing their dads tool belts. And their feet better be spotless because the yellow booties are showing all the dirt right now. Way too much clutter on the field and again everything is so expected.

I’m in utter disbelief that this is a show from the corps that gave us the sophistication of Le Reve just two seasons ago. While there were issues last year, I’d take that design over this any day. 

The music is just there. There’s no depth behind the arrangements. No variety. Very one note. 

I know this sounds harsh but I really am surprised that this is a show these designers came up with. 

With that being said, I wish nothing but the best for the talented young performers.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1