What should happen?

Should the idea of Open Class corps just go by the wayside to create an expanded division?

i just feel more than ever the corps from 17-23 in World Class have become such quality. Look no further than the Cascades who missed Semis but had their best corps and show since 03? They still had a large contingent of Open Class Corps come ahead of them. To me, if the competition level has risen to the point where a smaller corps doesn't suffer by comparison to a larger corps, do we need a separate division. Just curious.

I think it is a compliment to the corps that don't make finals both world Class and Open Class of the quality being displayed. Just impeccable!

Wes P

I brought this up during the season. Biggest problem will be profit sharing. From what I understand/told open don't get gate profit since they are smaller tour model. I don't think the big boys would like taking less money to share with lower. If they use the "same" sheets why not make it the same class. There are open groups with more members than world (pioneer and legends). The other idea would be to make it like the olden division days and say anyone under 100 members is judged on open sheets.  They can control financials for a smaller tour and BDB and SCVC will lose their strangle hold of open class championship trophies since they would be world. 

3 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

It is important that there is an avenue for new corps to come up and do smaller tours with less pressure, IMO.

That's why I think divisions were great. The 20 member new corps (aka soundsport groups) won't be against the BDB and BDB won't be against BD. Clear tiers and ifnyoi want to move up you increase membership and tour. 

I have heard it is true that none of the Open Class groups get performance money, only WC corps. A large part of why groups want to get to that level, and stay there as opposed to dropping back down to rebuild, etc. Additionally, there is profit sharing that greatly benefits the finalists with a much greater share. Maybe how it should be, but seems the rich get richer on the backs of the rest of the activity. If there was parity, or even a more even distribution of monies to all corps could allow the ones in the lower echelons to have a shot at gaining some ground.

Between this and the judging, it seems something needs to be done...just not sure what...

• Like 2

There should be a "regional class" a "national class" and a "world class" 

Regional class would be 3 buses or under with a smaller touring footprint. Some would attend finals and some would not. This is similar to the current "open class" in many ways and allows "entry" into the activity and also part time organizations to exist (weekend only, short 2 week tour types). Their championship would be similar to the Open Class of today - Monday/Tuesday - top 8 advance to Wednesday.

National class would be the existing larger "open class" plus the existing "world class" other than the top 8 or so. These would be limited to the current 150 and compete in a championship on Friday night

"World Class" would be comprised of the largest and best funded organizations. Size limit unbound. These would attend all the regionals and compete on Thursday night/Saturday night - the first night to determine seeding etc... They would have Friday/Wednesday off to rehearse. Saturday night finals would be comprised of the top 4 from the Friday National Class championship - they would compete for overall champion and "World Class" championship. By topping a "World Class" group "National Class" could gain entry into this division. 

This allows for a variety of budgets, sizes and touring models and allows corps such as Troopers / Blue Stars, etc compete for a championship of their own... 

I've proposed this for about a decade now - as well as a post-Championship "Tour of Champions" (top 8 for 4 big arena shows post-championship, non competitive) which they took the "TOC" and "World Class" part of the concept and weaved them into today's set up

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Regional class would be 3 buses or under with a smaller touring footprint. Some would attend finals and some would not. This is similar to the current "open class" in many ways and allows "entry" into the activity and also part time organizations to exist (weekend only, short 2 week tour types). Their championship would be similar to the Open Class of today - Monday/Tuesday - top 8 advance to Wednesday.

National class would be the existing larger "open class" plus the existing "world class" other than the top 8 or so. These would be limited to the current 150 and compete in a championship on Friday night

"World Class" would be comprised of the largest and best funded organizations. Size limit unbound. These would attend all the regionals and compete on Thursday night/Saturday night - the first two nights to determine seeding etc... They would have Friday/Wednesday off to rehearse. Saturday night finals would be comprised of the top 4 from the Friday National Class championship - they would compete for overall champion and "World Class" championship. By topping a "World Class" group "National Class" could gain entry into this division. 

This allows for a variety of budgets, sizes and touring models and allows corps such as Troopers / Blue Stars, etc compete for a championship of their own... 

I've proposed this for about a decade now - as well as a post-Championship "Tour of Champions" (top 8 for 4 big arena shows post-championship, non competitive) which they took the "TOC" and "World Class" part of the concept and weaved them into today's set up

So what you're saying is the G7...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

So what you're saying is the G7...

the "G7" grew out of this concept - but no. What I'm saying is you crown an additional champion at the "National Class" level during finals week. This year it might have been Blue Knights or Regiment. This allows corps unable to compete with Blue Devils to strive for something. Trust me this is a good thing. The "World Class" in this concept have many responsibilities including attending ALL regionals, performing exhibitions outside the normal touring model and sort of are ambassadors for the activity in many ways

Edited by George Dixon

You said most financially stable will be in the world class. If I am correct phantom (who used to be in the elite group) almost folded recently due to money problems a couple years ago. You're also just taking away from the old regional format circa 2008 where you would compete in the morning up to 9th place and top 4 did finals. There is no problem with the top 12 world groups format it's more of the fact that open class is beating the bottom half and why should they not get compensated if they can beat the pioneers and surf. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

"World Class" would be comprised of the largest and best funded organizations. Size limit unbound. These would attend all the regionals and compete on Thursday night/Saturday night - the first night to determine seeding etc... They would have Friday/Wednesday off to rehearse. Saturday night finals would be comprised of the top 4 from the Friday National Class championship - they would compete for overall champion and "World Class" championship. By topping a "World Class" group "National Class" could gain entry into this division. 

Cadets might have a chance to win the 'national class' (unlike World Class) so I can see why you might be interested in this idea...