What should happen?

36 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

Cadets might have a chance to win the 'national class' (unlike World Class) so I can see why you might be interested in this idea...

oh so funny - I've been "interested" in this idea for about ten seasons. Regarding Cadets they will be just fine and back in the thick of things quite soon :)

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

the "G7" grew out of this concept - but no. What I'm saying is you crown an additional champion at the "National Class" level during finals week. This year it might have been Blue Knights or Regiment. This allows corps unable to compete with Blue Devils to strive for something. Trust me this is a good thing. The "World Class" in this concept have many responsibilities including attending ALL regionals, performing exhibitions outside the normal touring model and sort of are ambassadors for the activity in many ways

Which class would BAC have been in this year?

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Financially world

competitively national jumping into world

They would have won the "National Championship" on Friday night

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

.... olden division days and say anyone under 100 members is judged on open sheets.....

I marched in what would now be called 'Open class' - & I take issue with one point.  We really liked the fact that we were on same sheets as the big Corps.  We liked to see where we stood.  Yes, at beginning of season when Phantom was in the 60's (it was the tick era - I don't think any Corps started past the very low 70's (& that was BD & SCV)) we knew our score would be in the 30's, because that is where we were at that point in the season.

In short - one set of criteria / sheets for all Corps

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

It is important that there is an avenue for new corps to come up and do smaller tours with less pressure, IMO.

I know!  We could have regional Drum Corps associations.  Maybe call it 'Drum Corps Midwest' for midwestern Corps, and 'Drum Corps East' for eastern Corps.  Schedule shows on weekends, esp at the beginning of the season.  Have most members come from municipalities near the Corps HQ / practice site so that can practice several evenings a week - members could even have part-time jobs.  Plus, no need to feed the Corps during the week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched in what would now be called 'Open class' - & I take issue with one point.  We really liked the fact that we were on same sheets as the big Corps.  We liked to see where we stood.  Yes, at beginning of season when Phantom was in the 60's (it was the tick era - I don't think any Corps started past the very low 70's (& that was BD & SCV)) we knew our score would be in the 30's, because that is where we were at that point in the season.

In short - one set of criteria / sheets for all Corps

I totally see both sides of it  both have pros and cons. Like you have 12 year olds possibly younger in BDC going against the top 3 in world class on sheets. Now something I notice is open class corps early season score alot lower than world and then pass world groups. Legends didn't start until July and got a 51 jumping to a 77 in a shorter time than world groups. We're they improving that much faster or do judges view them different even though same sheets?

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I totally see both sides of it  both have pros and cons. Like you have 12 year olds possibly younger in BDC going against the top 3 in world class on sheets. Now something I notice is open class corps early season score alot lower than world and then pass world groups. Legends didn't start until July and got a 51 jumping to a 77 in a shorter time than world groups. We're they improving that much faster or do judges view them different even though same sheets?

I'm not sure that in reality sheets stay the same within a class over a season.  Example - On Thursday last, Pioneer scored a 65.913.  At 1st show of the season (22 June) , Blue Stars scored a 64.15.  If Pioneer had been at that June show and performed at the same level as they did Thursday last, would the judges have given Pioneer a 65.913 and placed them ahead of Blue Stars?