What should happen?

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

You said most financially stable will be in the world class. If I am correct phantom (who used to be in the elite group) almost folded recently due to money problems a couple years ago. You're also just taking away from the old regional format circa 2008 where you would compete in the morning up to 9th place and top 4 did finals. There is no problem with the top 12 world groups format it's more of the fact that open class is beating the bottom half and why should they not get compensated if they can beat the pioneers and surf. 

I don't really know anything about how corps get compensated, but in my view there is more than one current world class corps that is not, will not ever be, and has no goal to be, world class in any respect other than they get a share of the money. There are several open class corps that make significantly bigger investments in the activity than these groups will ever invest, because they don't have to to retain their position at the end of the money train.

I do not have a single idea as to how one would put an end to this. But it is flat out unfair.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, cdave said:

I have heard it is true that none of the Open Class groups get performance money, only WC corps. A large part of why groups want to get to that level, and stay there as opposed to dropping back down to rebuild, etc. Additionally, there is profit sharing that greatly benefits the finalists with a much greater share. Maybe how it should be, but seems the rich get richer on the backs of the rest of the activity. If there was parity, or even a more even distribution of monies to all corps could allow the ones in the lower echelons to have a shot at gaining some ground.

Between this and the judging, it seems something needs to be done...just not sure what...

I think whether OC corps get performance fees depends on who hosts the contest. I believe some corps pay all corps performing. Shows that include only OC corps do not usually give performance fees.

• Like 1

First off, for the past two years I have been blown away by OC. The corps are young, the shows fresh and original. Open Class allows corps to compete against similar corps, grow and develop, and perhaps most importantly, allows kids who are either too young for WC experience or cannot afford it, an opportunity to march and compete. 

Word is Music City wants to compete in WC. Legends most likely does too, though it may not happen next year given this past summer's difficulties. I know Spartans and 7th Regiment like where they are and what they are doing,  but I would expect in a few years Guardians and Louisiana Stars will want WC. 

My hope is that OC continues as is, and as one corps moves up to WC, a new corps takes its place in OC.

I just watched our corps go through this.  Yes, gate fees come with WC membership, and this is probably the biggest sticking point with the other voting member corps and will be the biggest barrier for really deserving corps like Music City.

But far more important are the other things that come with being a WC corps:  playing in bigger venues, attracting more sponsorships (horns, drums, pit equipment etc), attracting more mature members and more experienced staff, etc etc.  I know Genesis is seeing alot more interest from staff, performers and sponsors now that the WC tag has been applied.

Edited by WaxDCIFan

I vote for Garfield to be the impartial one man Judge of Financial Stability for each drum corps in the activity. 

Edited by HockeyDad