Averaging scores

Finals night should be 50% of the score and the other two nights 25 each.  Averaging 3 nights is like giving participation medals...Oh wait they do.

• Like 1

Sorry I don't do spread sheets or anything but I think it is not fair that someone could come into FINALS and have a perfect show but their caption is already 66% decided when FINALS is the one that really counts.

• Like 1

There's good and bad things with the crowd who says "only finals night" or "average of the three nights." 

In the former, one rogue judge can basically decide the award

In the latter, one bad performance can discredit the consistent excellence over the course of a season. 

I like Flammaster's suggestion because it still takes into account the need for consistency while still emphasizing that bringing it on finals night is important. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soccerguy315 said:

Your way is still an average.  Just a weighted average.

yes but it's more fair.  I think captions should not be averaged at all but if they are FINALS should be the most important.  Look at last nights recaps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

There's good and bad things with the crowd who says "only finals night" or "average of the three nights." 

In the former, one rogue judge can basically decide the award

In the latter, one bad performance can discredit the consistent excellence over the course of a season. 

I like Flammaster's suggestion because it still takes into account the need for consistency while still emphasizing that bringing it on finals night is important. 

I agree with Finals having a bit more weight. The performances take a notable jump and there should be some recognition of that. Also, add a second color guard judge for the week. They are all so good now and some have such different styles, that I can't imagine a judge's personal preference for more dance-based or more technical-based can be completely eliminated. Having two opinions per night would help, as it does with the other captions. 

• Like 2

Just now, NakedEye said:

I agree with Finals having a bit more weight. The performances take a notable jump and there should be some recognition of that. Also, add a second color guard judge for the week. They are all so good now and some have such different styles, that I can't imagine a judge's personal preference for more dance-based or more technical-based can be completely eliminated. Having two opinions per night would help, as it does with the other captions. 

Agree with this too

Look at CC's GE score from last night.  microphone failing put them way down in the score which is how it should be.  If you are going to rely on electronics then you have to be held accountable.  I thought it was reflective in the M/A score but someone corrected me and said it was in GE (is #1 for music)?

IF YOU CHOKE ON FINALS it should affect your overall score more should it not?  Look what happened in 89.

I look at averaging as a way to excuse a sloppy finals performance.