Wish List for 2018

Well. Now that 2017 is done (congrats to a wonderful Blue Devils show that came the closest of any show this year to making me cry), time to look forward (because the cycle never ends).

So, what things would you like to see next year?

I'll give a quick rundown of mine, off the top of my head (added after writing: holy crap I get longwinded in a hurry):

• BD: all-Goodwin original show. This is going to be my wish for BD until either it happens, or Goodwin passes away (at which point it'll just become a wish for an all-Goodwin show)
  • SCV: three-peat. Also aussies.
  • Crown: keep cranking the percussion up to go with the excellent brass
  • Cavies: maybe don't go so over the top next year? Like, I get that the over-the-top-ness was kinda the point this year (and last, for that matter), but at some point maybe start reining it back in.
  • Bloo: another show that makes me feel the way I imagine people felt seeing Madison '95 live. Also...maybe, just maybe, you could consider wear some blue. Perhaps on a coat of some kind? Might need to workshop it a bit more.
  • BAC: if you're not going to go back to the traditional uniform colors, at least keep some red in the uniform. Much like I'm weirded out by the lack of blue on Bloo this year, BAC without any red would just be perplexing. This year was good on that front...but if you did a show like Crown '09 and all of a sudden the pants/undershirt were green and brown, it'd feel...pretty weird (and probably not look great on the field).
  • Cadets: Either On the Waterfront, or Fancy Free/On the Town (or completely off the deep end with the Kaddish Symphony). And maybe leave the kitchen sink in the kitchen this time? (As well as the holy water, the communion wine, etc.). Also make Hopkins do the booth interview for tour premiere or prelims, just to watch him squirm (and/or see if he sits down, or just spends the whole interview pacing across the press box and only in frame for like three seconds each lap).
  • BK: fix the guard design that's the only hole in your program at this point. The brass and percussion are definitely there for a monster run, and most of the visual is, too--y'all have the most striking color palette in the game, year after year. Just maybe rein in some of the weirder guard ideas occasionally, and have that one idea.
  • Phantom: can we have those horns back, please? And less mics? And maybe more of a Bell-ish Cartwright design (less of a Broken Arrow one--and yes, they are in fact somewhat distinctive design-wise).
  • Blue Stars: come up with an excellent show design that doesn't rely on taking the design team out to Vegas, watching the new Cirque show, and putting it on the field.
  • Crossmen: keep the momentum you had going through the first half of this season up for all of next year.
  • Madison: now that you've expanded what the Madison Scouts can do/be, take advantage of that to explore what's between 2015/2016 and this year. Don't go all the way back into tradition necessarily, but...you've carved yourself out a lot of space to play between where the 2016 show was and where the 2017 show was. Use it.
  • Mandarins: keep pushing forward. Can't wait to see what y'all come up with next.
  • Academy: get things clean earlier. Keep being fun.
  • Colts: start pushing up toward Finals again. It'd be nice to see you back again.
  • Troopers: much as I appreciate the brightness of the uniforms, I miss seeing the traditional colors, too.
  • FloMarching: stop sucking.
  • Tour Premiere: split venue premiere, first half in Indy, second half at Stanford. Start training up the B team (Will, whoever you want to pair with Will--whoever a DeLucia to Will's Rondo would be--or maybe get actual professionals?) to be ready to take over soon, because Rondo and DeLucia aren't going to be around forever. Also let us see SCV/BD/BK/Mandarins/Academy/whoever goes out west on the Premiere.
  • Everyone: less full-field amplification. Better balance in general. Keep coming up with what's next. Learn how to make the things that didn't work better, and make the things that did work the best they can be.
  • The mm's: keep kicking butt and pushing things forward. Thanks for your performances.
  • Like 1

Phantom: MORE HORNS. I want that bottom heavy, dark, knock your socks off sound back. 

If this happens, 2018 will be a success for me 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

BD: all-Goodwin original show. This is going to be my wish for BD until either it happens, or Goodwin passes away (at which point it'll just become a wish for an all-Goodwin show)

After seeing what the Devils did musically this year, if we do get our all GG show (which like you i am praying immensely for) the haters that told us BD fans to enjoy our 99.65 in 2014 cause we will never see that score again, well they will be correct. Cause all Goodwin music will score 99.80.

Didn't Goodwin's son march BD this year? Did he age-out last night?

Edited by Chief Guns

More West Coast Jazz from BD please. Listening to Everything Must Change today while sitting in a park on a warm breezes day is everything I hoped for when we were talking about what BD should do for their diamond anniversary. Stan Kenton and Don Ellis are good places to turn  

Blue Knights. More melodic tunes. You're doing all sorts of awesome with development of talent and technique musically and visually. Give us sustained melody with all the tricks and effects you've been working on and you'll be charging for a medal. 

Academy, embrace the fun earlier! Be that corps that everyone looks forward to every year for big smiles. Bring it with the confidence you found late season this year earlier and you can make it work all the better by season's end. 

Cadets, I believe you have a multi year agreement with the Bernstein Estate? Candide please. The USMC take reminded me of your past with that whetted my appetite for what you might do with a modern treatment of it given what you did with Mass this year  

Anyone. I triple dog dare you to bring out a big band swing show. I know it'll be a challenge to teach and clean and whether the judges reward that work on these sheets is uncertain, but I still want to see it. 

• Like 1