Corps Income/Revenue Stream

Boston got a huge infusion from some alumni, hence moving from 12th to 6th. Like Star they are buying a championship by paying staff and designers outrageous sums of money. This in turn will trickle down to effect all corps. Supply and demand.

4 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I can't speak to any potential suspiciousness of the Legends drive. But it is so disappointing that Pio is still at only $3,000 (if their web site is correct). They had very specific details regarding the need.

Off I go to make a donation to Pioneer, since they're taking the high road, and it's going unnoticed.  It's a shame that only extreme distress calls get funded.  Perhaps Pioneer should have parked their busses in a freeway rest stop and made a Facebook Live plea for immediate assistance.

• Like 2

For Bluecoats some of that revenue is definitely from bingo. It's a great game and the 'Coats own the hall in North Canton. The corps used to call bingo in Perry Twp at an FOE, but the corps actually bought their own hall (and a large chunk of land too) which they not only use for bingo but for special events, parties, wedding receptions, etc.  The corps also has their Blue Way camps.

Aside from the revenue streams mentioned above, I think it's important for a corps to charge an appropriate dues for audition camps, winter camps, spring training, and summer tour. Over the years some groups have lowered costs to get the kids, but in doing so have lost revenue and crippled their ability to properly take care of those kids on the road when it comes to housing, food, busing, staff, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Pantherett said:

Boston got a huge infusion from some alumni, hence moving from 12th to 6th. Like Star they are buying a championship by paying staff and designers outrageous sums of money. This in turn will trickle down to effect all corps. Supply and demand.

Good on the alumni.

Edited by Chief Guns

20 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

For Bluecoats some of that revenue is definitely from bingo. It's a great game and the 'Coats own the hall in North Canton. The corps used to call bingo in Perry Twp at an FOE, but the corps actually bought their own hall (and a large chunk of land too) which they not only use for bingo but for special events, parties, wedding receptions, etc.  The corps also has their Blue Way camps.

Aside from the revenue streams mentioned above, I think it's important for a corps to charge an appropriate dues for audition camps, winter camps, spring training, and summer tour. Over the years some groups have lowered costs to get the kids, but in doing so have lost revenue and crippled their ability to properly take care of those kids on the road when it comes to housing, food, busing, staff, etc. 

.....and I believe (at least based on my perhaps flawed memory of a prior review of a past BC 990 form) that Executive Director compensation is quite low (perhaps far too low for the past years' success of the corps).

it shows that the corps is operating within its means.  Meanwhile, I acknowledge and understand that a corps has much greater success demanding higher camp and tour fees when they have demonstrated success.  So, it may be difficult for a less successful corps to demand higher fees and solicit donation from alumni and others.

One thing the Bluecoats does well is to fill your inbox with requests for donations (meals, scholarships, etc.).  Perhaps no different from other corps.

Lesson?  Don't be afraid to ask...and ask....and ask.  If you have a respectable organization (not to be defined as corps placement, but rather by the manner and responsibility with which the corps is operated, alumni and others will eventually donate.

it also helps to have a community/business connection.  When Bluecoats were struggling years ago, assistance was solicited from Ted Swaldo, a Canton businessman.  I believe Ted helped instill a business/financial discipline that helped begin the climb of the Bluecoats.

In a past post in another thread, it was mentioned by someone that a Corps Development Manager (i.e., fundraising professional) is critical for a corps' success.

I believe you need a combination of both (a) creative and (b) business staff in a corps.  Absence of either leads to either (a) a broke but artistically creative/successful organization, or (b) a well-funded organization with a poor quality show.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 90svet said:

Great point. These professionals may not need to be alumni, either. Some alumni voice is clearly important. But putting the leadership and board always in the hands of alumni can be destructive. Or at least stagnating.

Edited by mjoakes

7 hours ago, monarch said:

Forward Performing Arts $1,315,088 is Madison

Fixed it.  Thanks!

2017 Placement / Corps / $ Revenue as last reported

1. Blue Devils / Performing Arts for Youth $23,964,680

2. SCV / Vanguard Music and Performing Arts $15,060,214

3. Carolina Crown, Inc $3,219,205

4. Cavaliers $1,564,612

5. Bluecoats $5,432,421

6. BAC / Inspire Arts and Music, Inc $3,393,914

7. Cadets / YEA $6,157,771

8. Blue Knights / Ascend Performing Arts, Inc $1,602,432

9. Phantom Regiment $1,698,216

10, Bllue Stars / Performing Arts for Youth, Inc. $1,637,159

11. Crossmen / Crossmen Productions $1,536,865

12. Madison / Forward Performing Arts Inc / $1.315,088

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 90svet said:

Off I go to make a donation to Pioneer, since they're taking the high road, and it's going unnoticed.  It's a shame that only extreme distress calls get funded.  Perhaps Pioneer should have parked their busses in a freeway rest stop and made a Facebook Live plea for immediate assistance.

Pioneer by comparison, last reported revenue of $409,932.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 90svet said:

While I have found Roman to be sort of quirky over the years, in a funny good way, the emotional manipulation of people for financial gain is 'not' a trait of his.