Corps Income/Revenue Stream

32 minutes ago, garfield said:

You either don't remember all 1000 posts or you're a geek who likes numbers like me.

I hadn't thought of it before but, if DCI's research is correct that the average fan's tenure is three years, there may be a bunch of people who've never seen the thread.

I've been doing fantasy drum corps for nine seasons, and used to develop my own model for ranking college football teams, so yes, I rather geek out over numbers in general. But since I have no expertise with regards to financials, I'd rather have people who do know what they're talking about with those explain the numbers to me.

Seriously, I really appreciated the 990s when they happened, and I look forward to seeing how they come out this year.

37 minutes ago, garfield said:

You either don't remember all 1000 posts or you're a geek who likes numbers like me.

I hadn't thought of it before but, if DCI's research is correct that the average fan's tenure is three years, there may be a bunch of people who've never seen the thread.

It would seem, if your statement above is accurate (average tenure of a fan is 3 years), then therein lies an opportunity for DCI.  Turning over your fan base every 3 years is a missed opportunity to really grow the activity - and missed revenue as well.  To a large degree that's probably due to marching membership ever changing.  But if DCI could ever figure out a way to retain more fans - same as the corps growing their active and supporting alumni, then they'll be on to something.   Put this in context to, say, major league sports - if their fan bases churned every 3 years, imagine how that would affect those sports.  Their continued survival would always be challenged.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Keep in mind that the revenue numbers are exactly what they are.  There's obviously more to the financials that express the financial heath of the organization.  What the revenue numbers do express though is the scale of the organizations as indicated in my previous post.  Anyone is certainly free to dig further into the 990's if you'd like. They're there for all to see.

I agree. I just wanted to make the point that the revenue versus expenses is important. If BD had another source of income that still garnered them $440k profit wthout that amount of expenses, they could be as financially solvent as they are now with a much smaller revenue stream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

Those numbers can be misleading. If you look at the 990 for 2015 for BD, their Bingo revenue is just over $21 million but the cash payouts, etc. means they only profited about $440k. They may have the most revenue but they clearly have the most expenses as well too that offset it.

similar situation with Cadets I believe - a lot of revenue from their huge USB organization - but they employee like 30 people during band season so that eats up a lot of it

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Not a financial model to have a steady income. BD has system Blue and Crown has the CrownGuard store with tarps and etc. What could legends do to stabilize for the future for instance?

Legends last 990 was 2012 and theyve lost their tax exempt status after not filing a 990 since (you lose it after 3 years) same with surf. Both were (seemingly) running into trouble back then when they stopped filing by going into the negative on cash on hand. If they have filed its impossible to find... 

Theres no harm in taking a year off to stabilize the books, and if you cant then you shouldn't be in the business. If the glassmen did that in 2010/11 instead of just plowing through, they might either still be around or could actually be revived. Not every corps can manage a large amount of debt, like Boston.  

8 minutes ago, Cleveland1 said:

Legends last 990 was 2012 and theyve lost their tax exempt status after not filing a 990 since (you lose it after 3 years)......

Any wonder that they needed to make a mid-season pitch for $100k?  Lack of financial discipline....and to think that many people blindly threw donations to Legends without the Director first providing detailed plan for deployment of the funds.  Nobody else finds it odd that exactly $100k was requested?  Seems that if they truly had an understanding of their outflows needed to get through Finals, the requested amount would not have been such a round number.

i certainly hope that the $100k does not get squandered away (e.g., on repairs to a personal vehicle when Director should have been traveling on bus/RV/van).

Edited by 90svet

1 minute ago, 90svet said:

Any wonder that they needed to make a mid-season pitch for $100k?  Lack of financial discipline....and to think that many people blindly threw donations to Legends without the Director first providing detailed plan for deployment of the funds.  Nobody else finds it odd that exactly $100k was requested?  Seems that if they truly had an understanding of their outflows needed to get through Finals, the requested amount would not have been such a round number.

i certainly hope that the $100k does not get squandered away (e.g., on repairs to a personal vehicle when Director should have been traveling on bus/RV/van).

No clue. We might never know. But here are a few things. 

They asked right at the beginning of the dci giving campaign, which may be coincidence. 

Giving a corps $100k wont solve their problems. In 2012 that 100k would have been 1/4 of their budget. I know that they've probably grown a bunch by now, but its still a lot of their revenue. At glassmen's worst an influx of $100k wouldn't have made much of a dent. 

Guidestar says theyve gained tax exempt status this year, so we may see a 990 for the 2016 season. We wont know about this year until next year's 990, but we will have a snapshot at what may have been needed.

Just FYI since you asked about possible revenue streams.  Racine Scouts -- currently on hiatus (hopefully) -- operates a concession stand at Lambeau Field for the Packers games (brats are their specialty).  I also think they've done Bingo in the past. 

1 hour ago, 90svet said:

I can't speak to any potential suspiciousness of the Legends drive. But it is so disappointing that Pio is still at only $3,000 (if their web site is correct). They had very specific details regarding the need.

• Like 2